Bittering With Hallertau Aroma Or Multiple Bittering Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_quintal

Reaction score
Have B Saaz (7.5%), Hallertau Mittlefrueh (5.2%), Czech Saaz (2.9%) and Hallertau Aroma (7.6%).

Going to put down a DUsseldorf Alt and wanted to use up some of my hops. Only the Hallertau Aroma is in sufficient quantity to get the bitterness for this batch up to the correct level. Any issues using this type of Hallertau for bittering? Wasn't sure if it might not be clean enough.

Other option is maybe combining the Mittlefrueh with the Aroma or another of the hop varieties. Am unsure entirely of any disadvantages these varieties might have when used together in the same addition. Any opinions?

Cheers Guys.

Ideally if you are aiming for the guidelines/a traditional Alt, you would be using Spalter hops in an Alt. But noble hops as a substiture are acceptable. A single 60 or 90 minute bittering addition should be just fine.

Your yeast in the beer?

The Alt thread in 'flavour of the week' has some good discussion:
Alt Thread

Ideally if you are aiming for the guidelines/a traditional Alt, you would be using Spalter hops in an Alt. But noble hops as a substiture are acceptable. A single 60 or 90 minute bittering addition should be just fine.

Your yeast in the beer?

The Alt thread in 'flavour of the week' has some good discussion:
Alt Thread

Im using Thames Valley 1272. Ideally I would use Spalter, but combining my left over hops and this yeast I have laying around the Altbier is probably the best style for me to brew for. Otherwise i'd probably do a Rye ESB or something.

Thames Valley Ale Yeast = wy 1272 wy1275

I've used this yeast in an Alt and imo is a beauty it works very well.

Cheers

Hallertau Aroma is quite different to German breeds - it's grown in NZ I believe, plus it has significantly higher AAs. I checked this out myself as I bought heaps of it - am yet to try it for bittering but it's on the cards.

Have used it for Aroma in lagers and it's great.

Hallertau Aroma is quite different to German breeds - it's grown in NZ I believe, plus it has significantly higher AAs. I checked this out myself as I bought heaps of it - am yet to try it for bittering but it's on the cards.

Have used it for Aroma in lagers and it's great.

Yeah well I know it maybe has some more lemony notes. I've used Hallertau Mittlefrau before any been happy with it. I was just wondering if anyone had bittered with it and got an unusual character.

I reckon NZ Hallertau is significantly better than it's German origin. I use it for all additions on a Euro Lager and it's supurb - very florally and pleasant, no grass. It goes really well with the sweet breadiness of Pilsner malt.

Yeah well I know it maybe has some more lemony notes. I've used Hallertau Mittlefrau before any been happy with it. I was just wondering if anyone had bittered with it and got an unusual character.

All German noble hops of my experience work as bittering, flavour and aroma hops. I have not had success dry hopping with any of them (only tried saaz and tettnanger).

Didn't realise saaz was German....Is this 1938 again, and no-one told me? ... :ph34r:

My base malt is Pilsener so from what everyone has said i'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Just have to patiently wait for my fermentation fridges to free up.

Thanks Guys.

Your base malt is pilsner and you are using an english ale yeast?

At what point does this magically turn into a dusseldorf altbier? :huh:

...for Zatec. :D Pronounced zjah-tets.

I say again...is this 1938?
atec is in the Czech Republic...formaly Czechoslovakia...granted, since the thirty years war, it has been heavily Germanised, but still, it's not actually german.....

I'm not at home now but I think in Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles they talk about a base malt of 2 Row Pale Malt or German. Like I said before I chose to try a Dusseldorf Altbier because I wanted to use up the hops & yeast I had laying around. I was going off the wyeast website that said Thames Valley could be used in a Dusseldorf Altbier, and so I thought i'd try that as otherwise my German/Czech hops would not be suited for an ESB etc.

I like Pilsener but is Pale better then for a base malt?

I know it would be preferable to have a straight Alt yeast but im just trying to make do with what I have. Any suggestion to change is more than welcome though.

It's name is.
Are you Greek? I presume that Nick is short for Nicholas, and that is derived from the Greek....and that's your name. Ipso facto, you must be greek.

Possibly this explains why you like it greek style. :ph34r:

Ja.

Sorry - the euro nobles as opposed to the badly named NZ derivatives.

Spalter, Saaz, hallertauer and tettnanger are all good in all parts of the boil in my experience.

Not commenting on the NZ varieties as I've not used them (well I used d-saaz/riwaka once).

My error (although technically there is nothing wrong with the sentence 'all german noble hops of my experience are....' as I have not said ALL noble hops are German, just that the german ones are suitable for bittering, flavouring and aroma but I am splitting hairs).

At what point does this magically turn into a dusseldorf altbier?

Agree on the yeast but some pils malt in a dusseldorf alt is OK no?

With the addition of NZ hops :lol:

Call it a fusion style.

Back