Bittering Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just about to do my first extract brew (german pilsner) and I was wondering if there is much difference between hops that are used for bittering, I was planning on using Northern Brewer (9.0 %AA) but thought I would just ask to see if anyone have any comments or ideas that they have discovered using different hops for bittering.

Will be using Hallertau (4.5 %AA) for flavour and aroma

Cheers :chug:

For a German Pils I'd probably go with Perle over Northern Brewer, but if NB's what you've already got, it'll be fine. :)

Thanks MCWB, is there a reason for this? I have never used hops for bittering before so I don't really know why and which is better etc

Cheers

Bittering hops impart some flavour as well as bittering. Apart from the Alpha Acids (which bitter the beer) there are cohumilenes (sp?) and other compounds which contribute other flavourings to the beer.

Certain varieties of hops are used in different styles according to region, tradition, availability, AA%, etc. Northern Brewer will impart a slightly woody character to beer. It is a great hop in so many ways. More versatile than most "bittering" hops.

Hi Sluggerdog

Hops are used in beer to give bittering, flavour and aroma. Until recently all 3 of these components was done using low alpha acid hops like the Hallertau you have. This meant using loads of low yielding hops. For economic reasons, breweries developed high alpha hops, with higher yields, which were cheaper to grow, and you needed less per brew. The thinking was that it didn't really matter about the flavour or aroma of these hops because the long boil for bittering would drive off any unwanted taste.

Experience showed that many of these new high alpha hops actually didn't give the beer a nice bittering, and did leave a less than desireable flavour.

This has led to two camps, those that are prepared to use the high alpha hops for bittering, and those that believe low alpha hops are best for all additions.

However the newer high alpha hops have overcome some of these early problems and are very well accepted and lots of homebrewers use them.

It's a matter of trial and error. Try a variety of hops and work out what you like. Try different commercial beers, and find out what hops they use. Plus read lots on hops. The two sites below give some usefull information.

http://www.byo.com/departments/884.html

http://realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html

Cheers
MAH

northern brewer's fine for a german pils, i've used it a few times. It's a pretty common German bittering hop - they use it for Bitburger. It's a bit on the piney side but that can work with hallertau.

For what it's worth, NB is my favourite bittering hop. I occasionally use it for flavour additions as well.

Will try Northern Brewer as I can get it easily if not I will then try Perle but I have to order that one

Cheers for the info

also in a german pils it is reckonmend to use tettnanger and not hallertua but i do love hallertua

Thanks Jazman however I am aiming at a becks clone and have been told that becks is total Hallertau hops, please correct me if I am wrong.

cheers

Back on this subject I ask a similar question.

If you are not worried about the amount of hops your using (cost wise) then would you recommend using the same hop for all 3 instead of a different bittering hop.

e.g: APA

Bittering - Flavour - Aroma

1: Cascade - Cascade - Cascade
2: POR (or any bittering hop) - Cascade - Cascade

I would have thought using the same hop for all would have been better. Are some hops not good for use in bittering?

Amarillo Amarillo Amarillo Amarillo (60,30,15,0)

Jovial Monk

Maybe I should try Amarillo, what is it similar to? SO far I have found I like cascade or tettanger best.. I like the spicy-ness of these 2

Amarillo is a bit like a civilised Cascade. I love it.

JM

yeah, amarillo's the cat that pisses inside the litter tray whereas cascade's the big fat tom from up the street that sprays all over your front porch.
or maybe amarillo is an armadillo.
anyway i concur it's a tasty hop. i like it in combination with simcoe in my APAs/AIPAs.

tastewise it's like sweet orange/mandarin/mango as opposed to grapefruit/lychee/pine/pineapple like other american hops.

While Im asking about hops, is there any differance huge between the following:

German Hallertauer
Hallertauer Hersbrucker
Hallertauer, New Zealand

or are the differances only minimal?

My experience is that you will get little bitterness from Amarillo. Good for flavour and aroma though

Latest posts

Back