Bittering during fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojnab

Reaction score
Gday, I've put on an amber ale (just a kit) and after running a few IBU calculators I think I've under hopped. Went with 20g chinook for a 10 minute boil, and another 20g thrown in with the first lot to steep for a further 30 mins. This was done as a tea and added to the kit wort before pitching. Looking for around 50 IBU and thinking I'll fall drastically short (went with LHBS guys advice and didn't think to check calculators first). My question is, can I boil up some more hops and add the liquid 2 days into fermentation or will I stuff the brew?

I have rescued a wallflower beer by boil water, pouring it over an once of hops, letting it steep for an hour, filtering the tea from the trub, then adding the tea to the finished beer. I’ve never done this while the beer is fermenting — only to finished beer that I thought needed more bitterness.

I’ve read if you add hops to actively fermenting yeast you can get biotransformation of the hops producing different flavors. I’ve never done this but have read about others doing it to produce great beer. But there won’t be any isomerization (which takes heat) so there won’t be much (if any?) bitterness.

Cheers, I was thinking of doing the tea, just with a solid boil to get the bitterness happening rather than just the steep. So if I do that after primary has finished it should give bitterness without any weird flavours from not brewing in so to speak?

Back