Bittering Comparisons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Had my first taste of my Amber Ale last night and enjoyed it very much. By no means perfect being my second AG but in the right direction and I am already making the adjustments for my second version of it.

What I am interested in is sampling some other beers with varying ibu ratings so I can understand and compare what 24 ibu's actually is against 32 and 41 etc I know with a year or two's experience I will be able to comprehend this but for the moment I dont. My Amber Ale came in at 32 ibu's - although reading Ross's post regarding how much bitterness you actually get from finishing hops I suspect my ibu's are higher. I put in about 35g of pellets and end of boil and then whirlpooled for 20 minutes!

So if anyone knows the ibu's for a range of beers I can go out and buy and drink that will give me an idea of various levels of ibu's I would be appreciative (and drunk!)

ie what is the ibu for Little Creatures, Samuel Adams Lager, VB etc

From what I have heard:

VB: 18-20 IBUs

Little Creatures Pale Ale: 35 IBUs

James Squire Pilsener: 35 IBUs

James Squire Amber Ale: 24 IBUs

James Squire IPA: 45 IBUs

Coopers Pale Ale: 24 IBUs

Pilsner Urquell: 42 IBUs

These are by no means confirmed, and some others here may have some more info than I have and may beg to differ. These figures come from books, brewers, and also the odd "water-cooler" conversation. Should give you an idea anyway.

But I don't reckon that tasting these beers will give you a very good idea of relative bitterness. Perhaps my palate is not that great, but Urquell doesn't taste like 40+ IBUs to me, nor does JSIPA. I think it only takes 4 or 5 brews (home brews, that is) to get an idea of how different IBU levels taste. Just make sure you mix it up a bit! :chug:

IBU is a mathematical calculation, and by no means indicative of how bitter a beer will taste.
A light, pale beer may taste quite bitter at 30IBU, whilst a 10% abv Imperial Stout at 80+ IBU will likely still taste sweet. I have seen a chart somewhere which shows something about this, but I cannot find it at the moment.
Alcohol is not the only factor which will make a difference, but type of malt, attenuation, yeast strain, water chemistry.... maybe even a few others, will all affect the perceived bitterness.

dreamboat

As dreamboat said IBU perception is a little more complex and by no means linear... for example. I can make the same beer but stuff up my mash temp by one degree and the dryer version will have allot more perceived bitterness than the more balanced version....

IBU's are only a guide..... and when you don't hit the mark there's always isohop(tm) ;)

Asher for now

Asher said:
As dreamboat said IBU perception is a little more complex and by no means linear... for example. I can make the same beer but stuff up my mash temp by one degree and the dryer version will have allot more perceived bitterness than the more balanced version....

IBU's are only a guide..... and when you don't hit the mark there's always isohop(tm) ;)

Asher for now
[post="85644"][/post]​

You have isohop Asher?

cool, i just had a look at isohop
so, in theory, i could have a eye dropper of isohop in my pocket and adjust the low hopped beer at the pub to my liking?
then again, what about a shot of bitters? what's that made from?

I think bitters is made from the root of some plant isn't it?

Yep I threw reinheitsgebot out the window along time ago - when I discovered adjuncts like Flaked rice & Maize

I have a little vial of isohop in my fridge after a little brewing miscalculation.... A lawnmower lager I was making using NZ hallertau flowers given to me by a mate (who wrote down the wrong %AA of them). Anyway the beer came out way under bittered. So rather than ditch 2 kegs of perfectly good beer. 30 drops of Isohop went in each keg to balance it & no one is the wiser.... Its actually matured into a fantastic beer

Back to the topic now...

Merc - I think experience is the only way forward - bit like a balancing act,,,,, practice practice practice

Asher for now

Mercs Own said:
Had my first taste of my Amber Ale last night and enjoyed it very much. By no means perfect being my second AG but in the right direction and I am already making the adjustments for my second version of it.

[post="85619"][/post]​

Another point worth noting Merc. I'm not sure if here but did you taste this as a sample from your fermenter tap?? :unsure:

If this is the case sometimes these samples can be perceived as being more bitter than the actual bottled/kegged beer. This could be due to some trub and hop residue residing in your glass.

Just thought I'd ask. That said a 20 min steep in hort wort may extract a little extra bitterness. My money is on it fading a bit though.

Warren -

Warren, the sample was from my keg that had been gassing up in the fridge since Sunday night. Had another taste a few minutes ago - I like it and the bitterness is okay for me - but the wife found it too much, mind you the beer is a bit out of whack - 6.7% 32 ibu - I was aiming for a 5.4 with 35 ibu's.

I was just interested comparing it to beers with the same ibu so as to see the difference that malts etc make but also looking at a range of beers and bitterness to get a better understanding of how it all works.

Practise makes perfect and in this case the only practise is by tasting :super:

ps: the wife is a confirmed Coopers Sparkling Ale girl - anyone know the ibu on that?

Mercs Own said:
ps: the wife is a confirmed Coopers Sparkling Ale girl - anyone know the ibu on that?
[post="85736"][/post]​

From memory it's 25 IBU.

Warren -

Back