Bittering and Finishing Hops with Extract Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at making the move from K&K brewing to full extract brewing this weekend but I've run into a problem. I will be doing more research tonight before I start but I have one question in particular I thought I'd ask on here.

I went to my local HBS today and they don't stock any hops pellets or bags greater than 15g. I decided to buy a bunch of them and come home and hopefully I'd have the ingredients to put together one of these extract brews as I have what I need but the hops are the problem. I've got the following hops:

Morgans Finishing Hops - Super Alpha 12g
Morgans Finishing Hops - Hallertau 12g
Morgans Finishing Hops - Cascade 12g
Copper Tun Brewing Essentials Amarillo Finishing Hops 15g

I read the packets when I got home and realised I had only finishing hops and they are in hop bags. :(

Going by the guides I've read you need bittering hops to brew an extract beer so I ran back and bought a second Amarillo packet hoping I could use this as a bittering hop. They all say to steep for 10 minutes and add to the wort before adding the yeast. I did specifically ask the owner if they had any larger bags of pellets or bittering hops available and was told they'd have to be ordered in.

Will any of the above be suitable for a bittering hop and what is the difference between bittering and finishing? Otherwise I'll have to order them (i'm in the country so I have to order from the city)? Just means my next brew will be another K&K cause that's all I have, no biggy but was hoping to get one of these away.

I know I'm jumping in a bit but I do want to try something different.

Cheers,

Newts

The Super Alpha would be well suited for bittering. 15gm of 13.3% SA at 60 mins would add 25 IBU to a 20 litre extract brew, so that's a good start....what are you hoping to brew? And do the hops have the AA% written anywhere on 'em?

Thinking about it...you could do a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale type of beer with the hops you have, like this:

20 litre batch size, 4.9% abv after bottle conditioning, 31 IBU. OG/FG 1046/1012

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt

10gm Super Alpha @ 60
15gm Amarillo @ 20
15gm Amarillo @ 5

Do you have any specialty grain as yet? I'm guessing no if your HBS didn't even have proper hop packets. It'd be great to get 250gm of medium crystal 120 steeped into that brew, will take it up to 5.1% and give it some great colour along with a flavour boost.

Carniebrew is on the right track.

Super Alpha for bittering at 60 minutes and Cascade and Amarillo for flavour at 20 minutes perhaps?

You might have to have a look at Carniebrews "excellent" guide to extract brewing. (some people like it , but there are some haters :lol: )

Thanks Dammag. Yeah, I've been chatting to Carnie about possibilities with the ingredients I've got, but based on what I've read and been told now I'll wait until I get some more ingredients so I can make a tailored batch. Should be passing through a city in the next week or two so I'll buy all the stuff while I'm there and come back and brew an extract brew. I'm gonna start another thread on what I should get.

Cheers,

Newts

If you're planning on starting full extract brewing my advice is to pinch someone else's recipes for your first few brews just so you get a bit of an idea of what sort of ingredients go into it.

I don't know where if WA you are but if you are close it might be worth a trip to gryphon brewing for a chat with Nev. I've never met him but he always contributes excellent information to this forum and his customers speak very highly of his shop.

As far as the hops go, all of them will make good bittering hops, depending on what style of beer you make.

IMHO, pick a style of beer you like and then hunt down a recipe from someone who has made something similar a few times. Then go shopping for what you need and start brewing.

JD

Thanks JD. I can't find a location for Gryphon Brewing in Perth but you say I could drop in. Is it a regular shop with regular hours? If so where is it located?

Newts

Gryphon Brewing is an online store, so contact Nev direct via phone, PM or email the store. He's pretty good at getting back to you.

Other walk in stores are TWOC in Bibra Lake, Brewmart in Bayswater, Malthouse in Welshpool and I think a couple in Armadale. I have been to TWOC a couple of times and found them quite good.

Craftbrewer are also good with advice, although it will be via phone.

Thanks tavas,

I guess my next question would be which would be the best if I want to get bulk malt, hopefully some specialty grains (which I'm doubtful of) and 3-4 varieties of hops. I'm only in Perth for a few hours so I'd like to ideally go to one place and get them all. According to the websites only a couple sell bulk malt which will make a huge difference to my selection. Becomes very costly when malt is 4-5 bucks a kilo more.

Any suggestions on this one? I don't want someone saying this shops better than that one or anything, only advice for what I'm looking for from someone who has actually been to the shops.

Cheers,

Newts

In my experience TWOC or Gryphon are equally good. It will depend on where you are if you want to travel there. Both will do online orders with local courier.

That's not to say the others aren't good, I just haven't shopped there.

Yeah, can't get hold of Gryphon but TWOC do look very good. Probably where I'll go as it's also on the way to where I'm headed. Thanks for the heads up.

JDW81 said:
If you're planning on starting full extract brewing my advice is to pinch someone else's recipes for your first few brews just so you get a bit of an idea of what sort of ingredients go into it.

I don't know where if WA you are but if you are close it might be worth a trip to gryphon brewing for a chat with Nev. I've never met him but he always contributes excellent information to this forum and his customers speak very highly of his shop.

As far as the hops go, all of them will make good bittering hops, depending on what style of beer you make.

IMHO, pick a style of beer you like and then hunt down a recipe from someone who has made something similar a few times. Then go shopping for what you need and start brewing.

JD
Hey Newts

This is the best advice. Even if you don't use someone else's recipe at least have a look at them to gauge the AA% used, the quantities and the timing of the additions. Always decide on what you are going to brew before you go shopping and never just settle for what they have in store; much better to place a mail order. I would also just stick to using two hops initially, you could even make a great beer with just one hop e.g. Galaxy.
If you have a plan you will be wrapped with your bespoke beer

Side note, I bought a bunch of hops from Yakima Valley Hops recently. Excellent price, quality etc. I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I bought a bunch of 2 ounce bags of a variety. Highly recommend this option as there is a huge range compared to LHBS

Back