Bit Worried

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunderthebed

Reaction score
Found this spreadsheet thingy at the hardware store telling how to make commercial beers. Anyway as someone who is partial to an odd red devil i decided to make melbourne bitter recipe.

Here's the recipe

1.7kg thomas cooper australian bitter
1 box of coopers brew enhancer no.2
the yeast that comes with the tin
28g of pride of ringwood

I bastardised it *a bit* because well it was also an ad for brew cellar and they were asking almost $10 for brew enhancer when coles had the same thing by coopers for $7.

After making the wort i steeped the hops for ten mins then tipped it in the tub and then pitched the yeast and stirred.

I hope that i didn't turn the thing into something that tastes like bong water.
sad.gif

if you steeped in plain water, that was near boiling and mixed it in with a 'bitter' kit..... you'll prolly end up with a very bitter beer. Otherwise, no problem.

You're far better off boiling the hops in a malty mix....eg boil up 100gms DME in 1ltr of water and then boil your hops in that for 10 mins.....this 'wort' doesn't draw any of the bitter oils in a 10 min boil and also kills off any potential nasties.

if you steeped in plain water, that was near boiling and mixed it in with a 'bitter' kit..... you'll prolly end up with a very bitter beer. Otherwise, no problem.

Yup near boiling and using rainwater phew im happy with that malben bitter is a very bitter beer by my palate anyway. :)

Thanks for that suggestion geez using hops is like going back to when i first started brewing ffs. :D

It's just my opinion but an easy way to start using hops is to pop some in the kit can as you rinse out the dregs of the malt. So it's not boiled, but steeping hops CAN be used very effectively to create a very smooth flavour and aroma.

Once when my little electric elemnt was 'missing' I made a batch with all the hops just steeped in boiling water;
and it turned out excellent.

Also, nothing wrong with that Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 ( BE2 ) at the supermarket, I go through heaps of it.

Should come out a good beer I reckon.

and last, if you use good quality ingredients and follow teh directions on this site you should find it hard to make bong water.

It's just my opinion but an easy way to start using hops is to pop some in the kit can as you rinse out the dregs of the malt. So it's not boiled, but steeping hops CAN be used very effectively to create a very smooth flavour and aroma.

Once when my little electric elemnt was 'missing' I made a batch with all the hops just steeped in boiling water;
and it turned out excellent.

Also, nothing wrong with that Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 ( BE2 ) at the supermarket, I go through heaps of it.

Should come out a good beer I reckon.

and last, if you use good quality ingredients and follow teh directions on this site you should find it hard to make bong water.

Yeah i got the BE2 from coles (?!) for fairly cheap......i followed the recipe to a tea so i should be fine.

Back