Birko Vs Crown 40l Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if you can give some advice on the birko and crown urns. (40L)

The birko urn has an exposed element, but has insulated walls if im not mistaken... anyone have experience with these? hows the quality of the build and the tap etc

the crown urn has a concealed element, good for biab and cleaning. not sure on insulation etc.

can people provide some advice from personal experience etc ?

I can get them both for around the same price so that is not a factor.

cheers guys! :icon_chickcheers:

Plenty of info if you search as question asked many times.

Anyway.... Birko & Crown are both basically the same, except Crown has option of concealed or non-concealed element & I believe the tap is better quality on the Crown.

Birko is not insulated.

Cheers Ross

I insulate my Crown with my wifes yoga mat I cut up to fit, I use an old bike inner tube as a belt to hold it on, then for the mash ,cover the urn with her sleeping bag, it works really well,
The other day my wife said she might get back into yoga and had I seen her mat around?, hoping she doesnt start talking about a camping trip also,

I biab in a 40 ltr birko and have made about 30 batches of beer with it, 1st with a traditional bag and now I use a stainless mesh bag.
My insulation is foil/cardbaoard type flashing for roof and wall insulation wrapped around the birko.
Has worked a treat and the original tap is still working fine.
I did find that whole flowers block the tap.... so either blend them up or use hop sock
Have never tried a crown so can only say my birko is great.
See green insulation clipped on at base of pic and the mesh bag just being hoisted out.
I no chill in the urn so take insulation off it and wrap it all up in cling wrap and leave for 24 to 48 hours depending on how long the temprature takes to drop.
Then freefall the wert from the tap to the fermenter, shake to aeriate then pitch yeast and stick it in the fridge.
It's the goodness.

IMG05296_20111122_2103.jpg

Gunbrew, of your 30 batches have you no chilled in the urn ever had an infection?

Crown and Birko are basically identical in the exposed element models. As Ross says the Crown Tap is a bit more sturdy.
The Birko is shorter and fatter so you will get more boil off. Unless you can get a good deal somewhere, Birkos tend to be more expensive through the various catering companies, I'd recommend getting a Crown off Craftbrewer (no affiliation).

uh oh! at least her sleeping bag will have a nice malty smell haha.

Yeh will go crownie just because of the concealed element, and the larger cross section area of the birko will get more boil off, thanks for that bribie. hopefully ill have enough cash left over after xmas shopping and ill hit up CB for a crownie for sure.

cheers for the info guys!

Gunbrew, of your 30 batches have you no chilled in the urn ever had an infection?

Have not had an infection using the urn for no chilling - much to my surprise initially.
In summer it may take a full 48 hours to cool down.
The 1st time that happened I was freaking out thinking that my brew would be stuffed.
All that happens is the wert is clearer after sitting there so long.

I like the idea of no chilling in those plastic cubes that lots of people use, have just never tried it.
Cheers.

d3, remember to make the Crown element plate nice and shiny again after each brew, if you accumulate a build up of resedue there you'll find the boil keeps cutting out, which is a real pisser

Blending flowers. That's a great tip. I'm gunna give that a shot.

I also think I get more bang for my buck out of hop flowers when when I blend them.
When the flowers are whole i have seen plenty of lupulin still in the flowers after the boil.
Also blending them smells awesome...

i just bought a crown off rossco , veeery keen to give it a churn over Cmas.

cheers for the tip mike, will scrub it to an inch of its life!

A strong Citric Acid solution (Mckenzies from the baking shelves) is great for dissolving scale and gunk. I do mine every few brews.

A strong Citric Acid solution (Mckenzies from the baking shelves) is great for dissolving scale and gunk. I do mine every few brews.

I just used a bit of vinegar made it sooooo shiny!

i have a birko in a 3 tier system and love it, never let me down.

Do you boil the citric solution in your urn, or just let it sit for a while then scrub? I've got an old scaly urn as a HLT which I'd like to give a good seeing too but have been unsure what to use.

gunbrew said:
I biab in a 40 ltr birko and have made about 30 batches of beer with it, 1st with a traditional bag and now I use a stainless mesh bag.
My insulation is foil/cardbaoard type flashing for roof and wall insulation wrapped around the birko.
Has worked a treat and the original tap is still working fine.
I did find that whole flowers block the tap.... so either blend them up or use hop sock
Have never tried a crown so can only say my birko is great.
See green insulation clipped on at base of pic and the mesh bag just being hoisted out.
I no chill in the urn so take insulation off it and wrap it all up in cling wrap and leave for 24 to 48 hours depending on how long the temprature takes to drop.
Then freefall the wert from the tap to the fermenter, shake to aeriate then pitch yeast and stick it in the fridge.
It's the goodness.
Where did you get the stainless mesh bag? I have been looking into it and wandering if I DIY it.

Back