Birko Urn is cactus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoney

Reaction score
Was about to start a kettle sour mash tonight but I've hit a roadblock. I think my Birko Urn might have finally given up the ghost.

The light comes on but the element just doesn't even get warm. I've checked the overload switch on the side, it seemed to be protruding, but I've pushed it in and hasn't changed.

I bought it in July 2009 and it's served me with hundreds of brews.

I suppose my questions are:
  1. Is there something simple I should check?
  2. Can I or should I get someone to take a look at it or just give up? (keep in mind I'm lazy and/or time poor, depending on who you ask)
  3. There are so many AIN's (all in ones) on the market now (Braumeisters werent even a thing when I bought my urn) and I'm so out of the loop. If I can't fix the Birko, rather than replace it with a plastic lid Birko or a Crown, should I look into a Robobrew or a Grainfather or whatever else is hot right now? Space is an issue for me but I'm happy to budget up to a grand. What's the best bang for buck brew system out these days?

Cheers

Last edited:
The Guten looks to be good value for money. Have a look on the forum you will find the thread in gear and equipment I think.

Open the bottom and check the wiring. Easy to replace if it's that that's burnt out.

Otherwise could be thermostat, boil dry cut off switch or the element itself. Your answer is in removing the bottom.and having a look.

My Birko karked it a few years ago. Apparently the overload poppet thing can disintegrate over time, even if nothing wrong with element. Electrician bypassed the cutout and it worked fine - just remember always to have liquid in it while running as we always do anyway.

It eventually went on to be someone else's HLT with no problems.

I had the thermal cutout fail a few years back, simple enough to bypass as all the wiring is spade connectors.

How the eff did spade get autocorrected to spaderborn?

Last edited:
Here is the culprit.

The wires / clips going to the element are burnt. One of them fully burnt off, the other just has the sheath melted and burnt.

F513A6DD-3AA7-4EA7-965B-9FBE976C9647.jpeg
442B27E6-70DC-45F9-8010-F676EBB02F93.jpeg

Not feeling too confident to repair this thing without replacing the entire element which may be beyond me.

Any ideas?

I’m still tossing up Grainfather vs new urn.

Yeah new element and a sort out of those wires, not a Huge Job, but if your uncertain, get it sorted by a pro or move on, it may be worth finding out what an appliance repairer would charge to fix it.

I am not a tradesman or trained, I replaced my wires and thermal cutoff switch no problem.

Just remember to not leave a screwdriver in there like I did.

Worst case it doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back