Birko Element Gunk?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread recently, but seems to have fallen through the cracks... :)

Picked up a couple of Birko urns last week, exposed elements, each with their pros & cons...

Pretty crudded up, so been soaking and cleaning with vinegar to clear the crud from the bottom.

As the gunk has come away, I've noticed this on the element of one - is this a coating coming away?

photo.JPG

Should this be a concern? Planning to use the urn for BIAB - the element on the other urn seems fine.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

Kev

A green scotchbrite or brillo pads should do the trick - or even ratchet it up one notch to stainless steel wool scourer. It's metal and you aren't going to destroy it. With my Birko after a few months it eventually took the nickel plate off the element exposing the copper, but the element worked just perfectly, I expect the nickel was only there for cosmetic reasons or to avoid the copper discolouring if urn left unattended too long in the ladies bingo hall.

That's what it looks like to me - the plate is coming away and exposing the copper.

As long as I won't poison myself...or others.

From memory, symptoms of copper poisoning are very similar to drunkeness anyway?

Cheers

Kev

Mine has done the same, but the whole plating has come off, i just clean it gently with green scotchbrite (as Bribie has said).

Not sure copper about poisoning, I think dont it affected has me at all..

Erm why do you think that brewery boiling vessels are still called Coppers?

B) B) B)

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I noticed my element turned a copper colour after using a copper immersion chiller a couple of times and came to conclusion that the copper had somehow come off the chiller and bonded to the element. Now I know. :)

Latest posts

Back