Birko Boilers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I have an old Birko 25 litre hot water urn.

has any used them as a boiler for full grain setup.

I tried using it for mashing several years ago( with a home made false bottom), but found the grain burnt onto the element, and gave the resulting wort a burnt flavour. I also had to remove the element, and thermostat probe for cleaning. All in all very unsatisfactory, so much so that I haven't tried all grain brewing again. After much reading here and OCAU I got to thinking that It might make a good boiler. If so all I have to do is create a manifold for my esky, and I'm back in the all grain business.

any one have any suggestions, or recommendations ?

cheers
Moray

I have a 30 litre stainless steel hot water urn and use it as the HLT (hot liquor tank).
IMHO 25 litres is not big enough for full wort boils.
You would have to do smaller boils and add additional water to your fermenter.

The wattage of the element is probably too much for boiling the wort anyway and you will end up caramalising it again, like your previous attempt.

Use it as your HLT and source an old keg to convert for your boiler and use a gas burner or mount an appropriately sized element in it.

Cheers,
Doc

If you take Doc's advice and want to get hold of a boiler(large) drop me a PM and I'll put you on to a good scrap yard! ;)

Hi,

Having trouble finding a *cheap* 30L pot for boiling, any one have any suggestions on where I might find one? I don't want to have to pay the $100+ I've seen them for in retail shops...

I use a Birko for my mash tun, and another for my HLT.
No Wucken Furries with burnt grain.....the key must be in the design of the false bottom.

Rob

i am going to look for a old keg for when i go to all grain and a gas burner for my 9k gas cylinder and mayber i will modify it a bit as a lauter/tun or make a conical fermentor not sure yet as i m a sheetmetal worker i can make that sort of stuff

I am looking for an old electric copper washer to make into my boiler/kettle.

I set my mate up with a 55ltr keg where i cut a 11 inch hole in the top. Ground and sanded smooth. Use a 12 inch pizza base with a kitchen cupboard handle for the lid..fits inside the keg handles.
Fitted a SS gate valve to the bottom.

I dont like the idea of a 3 ring burner pumping out that much heat... i have children...

Hence..i think an old copper washer is a safer bet for me...

Anyone have one lying around, know how to get one etc..

Speak Up...

Dreamboat
do you have any further info on your false bottom ?

I don't know what to say really....I made it myself from some bits and pieces which were conveniently available to me at work.....

Firstly, i had a stainless socket welded in to the side of the vessel in place of the standard tap. This was arranged so that thread was accessible from both the inside and the outside of the urn. Ball valve on the outside, no worries. On the inside i used a BSP/compression fitting to insert a section of copper pipe into the system. This is roughly coiled to look a little like a ? to get a reasonable distribution over the grain bed. This piece of pipe is drilled with about 2mm holes every 20mm or so. This will sit just above the element.
The second thing i use (simultaneously) is a stainless v-wire false bottom, on short legs, to sit immediately above the copper manifold.

Easy.

I'll try to find a photo on the pooter here.....

found a couple, but unsure how to attach...

Help????

Dreamboat

dreamboat,
Are you still using this system to mash with? If so, any chance of getting those pictures up. Let me know if you need help uploading them.
cheers

Yep, still using it for mashing with.
I tend to put my strike water in the mash tun, and set a thermostat and timer to have it at strike temp when I want it ready. I then dump in the grain, mix it well, and leave it alone. I can give a little burst of heat with the grain in there, but only after doing a bit of recirc to get most of the grain away from the element, and then only for short times, say less than a minute at a time.

Let me know about how to post pics.... might still have them on the computer here, or I can always take some more.

Latest posts

Back