BigWurn Father

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotmelt

Reaction score
I've had this for a while but never used it much preferring to use a bag.Also the exposed element doesn't help.
PB280002.JPG PB280009.JPG
So I've dusted it off and made some changes.This is what it was like.
Two bigw pots,one inside the other. False bottom in urn covers element pickup and temp probe
P1020444.JPG P1020454.JPG PC130040.JPG
Quick disconnect for return.
PC170069.JPG
$5 tray to cover gap fits in slot on handles and when spun round distorts to hold malt pipe.
PB280016.JPG PB280013.JPGPB280015.JPG
Inside, mesh over bottom plate as the holes are 3.5mm and the fit isn't the best.
PB280011.JPG PB290028.JPG

I've now added an adjustable overflow pipe with cover.
PC170067.JPGPC170068.JPGPC170070.JPG
To hold malt pipe for sparge I've cut up some tongs and bolted them to the the side.
PC170071.JPGPC170073.JPGPC170074.JPG

Great idea using the cut down tongs,part ghetto.
Cheers...spog....

I like both the tongs idea and the adjustable overflow. Both Ideas I may have to borrow...............

I'm assuming that the tong offcuts are just folded in and slide down inside the outer pot. Is it difficult to fold all four down at once?

Is it just a loose compression fitting that allows you to slide the overflow pipe up and down or do you have a variety of different length pipes?

Cervantes said:
I like both the tongs idea and the adjustable overflow. Both Ideas I may have to borrow...............

I'm assuming that the tong offcuts are just folded in and slide down inside the outer pot. Is it difficult to fold all four down at once?

Is it just a loose compression fitting that allows you to slide the overflow pipe up and down or do you have a variety of different length pipes?
With the tongs you can tilt the tube so the back two are in and then do the others.I got them from pots avenue for $1 each.
The overflow is a compression fitting with 240mm pipe.

If you were to place a mesh screen over the overflow intake do you think that it would negate the need for a top screen on the malt pipe?

The idea being that the wort level would never get high enough to wash any grain over the top of the malt pipe.

The screen on the overflow pipe would stop any grain escaping that way.

This is great, missed it the first time around, but ill have to give this sort of malt pipe a go. Especially like the tongs as clips, copying that for sure!

takai said:
This is great, missed it the first time around, but ill have to give this sort of malt pipe a go. Especially like the tongs as clips, copying that for sure!
Well it seemed like a good idea at the time but after leaving the malt pipe in water for a while the tongs started to rust
PC270082.JPG
so I had to drill out the rivet and make a spring with some stainless wire and use a 4mm bolt and nut to replace the rivet.
P1020084.JPG
It's not as good as a proper spring but it still works.
I moved the temp probe from the side to the bottom of the urn and changed the bottom of the malt pipe to get the malt pipe lower down.Pots Avenue colander $16 and a trim with a grinder.
P2100063.JPGP2100060.JPGPC230076.JPGPC230077.JPG
I think I made 3 batches with this set up the first I forgot about the sparge and did it full volume which was fine,then I tried two with a sparge which went alright but it's not for me I'll stick to me full volume and recirculation with a bag,it's much simpler and there's less cleaning.Anybody want a malt pipe?

If you were in Melbourne i would happily take it. Been wanting to give that design a go.

Back