Bigger Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeerbare

Reaction score
Hi team,

I’m lazy and want to brew less often.

Does anyone have 30 liter extract recipes? I would like to do a stout first and then an APA.

Cheers

Larger batches aren’t necessarily the same amount of work as smaller ones, but at 30L you can still at least lift everything.

As for recipes, just get any recipe, normally listed for 5 gal/19L and scale it accordingly.

I do my brew in a 60l fermenter. It holds 70l of water, but the measurements on the side go up to 60 only. I started using this as I was brewing with lots of sugars and the smaller containers simply could not hold the initial 'explosion' of krauser. I just have to be carful when carrying the bugger (if I even need to), as it's a bit over 60kg when full.

But the recipes are exactly the same, just increase all the amounts. It's not totally necessary with the yeast, but it might take a bit longer to ferment (not necessarily a bad thing) while your yeast is fruitful and multiplying...

I've been tossing up the idea of a 30l brew as I keg and bottle I usually get 5 tallies after I fill a keg and would like to stock up a few more for when the kegs blow.

I think a 2 x Coopers APA plus DME to 5% ABV and C Hop tea made to 30L would be ideal

another I was thinking about

2 x cooper original lager plus 400g whitebox honey to 30L which works out about 4.8% ABV

I wouldn't want to lift anything heavier as i've got to get it into my fermenting fridge which is at waist height.

Last edited:
I think that will be a lot closer to 4.1%
2 of 1.8kg cans + 0.4 kg honey comes to 4kg
4kg at 80% solids comes to 3.2kg
3.2kg in 30L, from mass extract = Volume*SG*Po (play in excel - goal seek helps)
Comes to an OG of 1.041, if the FG was 1.010
31/7.5 = 4.13333% ABV

A bit of basic brewmaths can be very useful.
Simply scaling a recipe wont give you exactly the same answer as designing from the ground up. You will find if you are boiling a wort your kettle loss both as boil off and what is left behind wont change much between say a 20 and 30L brew, you get the same amount under the tap on your fermenter and your transfer losses don't increase with batch size.
Not recommending bigger batches - but they tend to be a little more efficient.
Mark

My calcs come from using IanH's spread sheet so I don't know what the difference is maybe the priming sugar but I'm not to fussed about exacts anyway as long as its in 4-5.5% range im usually happy

IMG20180629094702.jpg

This is what I ended up going with. I think I will go up to 32 liters.

It should be a full flavor stout

Wow it sure will looking forward to your tastings!
I just put mine down today however I tweaked it a little.

2 cans of Coopers APA
1 box of BE3
20grams of cascade
20grams Chinook both in a hop tea for 15 mins
both kit yeasts rehydrated

all put into my coopers FV with collar fitted filled to 27 litres anymore would be pushing it specially if its an explosive ferment

Wow it sure will looking forward to your tastings!
I just put mine down today however I tweaked it a little.

2 cans of Coopers APA
1 box of BE3
20grams of cascade
20grams Chinook both in a hop tea for 15 mins
both kit yeasts rehydrated

all put into my coopers FV with collar fitted filled to 27 litres anymore would be pushing it specially if its an explosive ferment

I’m looking forward to a taste of this. Will post the verdict when it’s in.

I’m really pushing the limits with the size of this brew. Not much room for error here.
IMG_5902.JPG

I just kegged and bottled mine ended up with a full keg and 10 tallies. I had a middie after force carbing the keg and I think Im on to a winner, its a little under carbed ATM but I'll give it a week to carb up properly and clear and it should lose the carbonic bite and smooth out as it clears, seems to be a little closer to coopers APA from the pub with subtle fruitiness from the C hops and just a tad more bitterness so looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Mine was bottled yesterday and I got 39 big bots. It did have a slight vinegar taste so hopefully I haven’t got a bug in there. I’m going to leave it to carb up then try it in 2 weeks.
As soon as I bottled I managed to get 31 liters of pale ale down. I was rushing and didn’t even add hops! I’m sure I will regret that later.

Sample time!
Not quiet 2 weeks since bottling.
This is an amazing beer. Full of flavor, chocolate /coffee.
It’s still under carbonated which is to be expected at this early stage.

Side question - when priming with dextrose is it the same quantity as cane sugar?

Sample time!
Not quiet 2 weeks since bottling.
This is an amazing beer. Full of flavor, chocolate /coffee.
It’s still under carbonated which is to be expected at this early stage.

Side question - when priming with dextrose is it the same quantity as cane sugar?
No. Look on Brewers Friend under calculations for priming. Personally I prefer under to over.

Well my keg blew a week ago and it was pretty good, I was sad to see it blow so now I've just started on the tallies and I must say it has improved further with time in the bottle, bitterness and hop flavour has mellowed. I think its up there with best brews I've ever done. I've just transferred all the bottles to my fridge to lager for a while and then i will get stuck into them.

I highly recommend doing my recipe, I know ill be doing it again very soon

Back