Bigger Batch Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
So i've been meaning to use my 140L pot to push out a 'full' batch for awhile now, and yesterday i finally did it.

I usually fill my cubes to the brim but yesterday i decided that i should put the extra wasted wort/beer into another cube. So all up i got 5 cubes, or 100L.

Had a few little mishaps. The major one was to try and fit around 20kg of malt into a single craftbrewer bag. Unsurprisingly this proved to be a real bitch to pull out of the pot, even with a pulley. Had alot of pooling above the wort so i decided to do sparge in my 80L pot. Whilst sparging the bag split open and shit went everywhere. I don't blame the structural integrity of the bags, i think i just pushed it a little too hard!

I was thinking of using two bags (as QLDKev does with his 140L biab rig) but one was dirty and i didn't want to wait for it to get clean. So i just mashed in. That was a mistake.

Anyway Here's a couple pics from the day. I wish i'd got some more pics, but i didn't realise i had a camera till after the mash. Will take some more in a few months when i brew again. :)

Here's the coming to the boil

Boil.png

Here's my sweet burner and high tech brew stand :)

Untitled.png

And here's some cubes ready to have the wort squeezed out of them

Untitled.png

Attachments

• five_cubes.png
    five_cubes.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 32
You missed one pic, the one when the bag split

ekul.jpg

but you still have to love stocking up so much beer in 1 hit, without spending all day to do it...

will you ever got back to brewing a single batch?

So, does that mean we now know a strength limit on bags? :)

I just did a 60L batch in my 98L pot. I should be able to push this to doing 68L (4x17L) high gravity to get me to 80L... but my fermenter is only 60L ;)

Thinking of doing that when I need to share some wort around :)

You can see my new 98L, and my previous large pot (50L) which I used as a sparge pot
1_Ready_for_Dunk_Sparge.jpg

Start of boil
2_Start_of_Boil.jpg

and 4 little babies... I estimate 4 x 15L
3_4_little_babies.jpg

5L trub in the kettle, 1L usable for starters after straining/settling

Wish ahb had a like button. Is that a pot from cb and a Mongolian 32 burner with high pressure reg? That could be just the kit i'm after if I ever can start getting a good efficiency from what I am using now.
If not I may have to get king Brown smashed and have a game of poker.
5 cubes that a lot from 1 boil and cubes keep up to a year. Like like like

The pot is from allquip. The burner is a 32 jet mongolian from keeferbros.com.au Doesn't have a high pressure reg on it, just a normal one. All up this is a setup for less than $500 and can push out 100L comfortably in 5 hours from start to finish. What more could you want?

The only downside is if you make a shit batch... However with all grain there are no shit batches :)

Prolly won't do a 100L batch again, will probably stick to 80L ones. Means i can boil the shit out of it. Now all i need to find is some heatproof insulation for the sides of the pot.

Kev- That pic is kind of how it was, but with more swearing and way more grain everywhere.

I could only dream about my 2400w element doing a 100liter BIAB in 5 hours
Shame im too lazy to setup gas.. hell im too lazy to go get gas when i run out on the BBQ :p

Tom

It would probably take 5 hours to get to strike temp! Gas is pretty good. Means when the power goes out you can still brew :)

I could only dream about my 2400w element doing a 100liter BIAB in 5 hours
Shame im too lazy to setup gas.. hell im too lazy to go get gas when i run out on the BBQ :p

Tom

Latest posts

Back