• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Bigger Batch Biab

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

ekul

Reaction score
So i've been meaning to use my 140L pot to push out a 'full' batch for awhile now, and yesterday i finally did it.

I usually fill my cubes to the brim but yesterday i decided that i should put the extra wasted wort/beer into another cube. So all up i got 5 cubes, or 100L.

Had a few little mishaps. The major one was to try and fit around 20kg of malt into a single craftbrewer bag. Unsurprisingly this proved to be a real bitch to pull out of the pot, even with a pulley. Had alot of pooling above the wort so i decided to do sparge in my 80L pot. Whilst sparging the bag split open and shit went everywhere. I don't blame the structural integrity of the bags, i think i just pushed it a little too hard!

I was thinking of using two bags (as QLDKev does with his 140L biab rig) but one was dirty and i didn't want to wait for it to get clean. So i just mashed in. That was a mistake.

Anyway Here's a couple pics from the day. I wish i'd got some more pics, but i didn't realise i had a camera till after the mash. Will take some more in a few months when i brew again. :)

Here's the coming to the boil

Boil.png

Here's my sweet burner and high tech brew stand :)

Untitled.png

And here's some cubes ready to have the wort squeezed out of them

Untitled.png

Attachments

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
You missed one pic, the one when the bag split

ekul.jpg

but you still have to love stocking up so much beer in 1 hit, without spending all day to do it...

will you ever got back to brewing a single batch?

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
So, does that mean we now know a strength limit on bags? :)

I just did a 60L batch in my 98L pot. I should be able to push this to doing 68L (4x17L) high gravity to get me to 80L... but my fermenter is only 60L ;)

Thinking of doing that when I need to share some wort around :)

You can see my new 98L, and my previous large pot (50L) which I used as a sparge pot
1_Ready_for_Dunk_Sparge.jpg

Start of boil
2_Start_of_Boil.jpg

and 4 little babies... I estimate 4 x 15L
3_4_little_babies.jpg

5L trub in the kettle, 1L usable for starters after straining/settling

jameson

Reaction score
Wish ahb had a like button. Is that a pot from cb and a Mongolian 32 burner with high pressure reg? That could be just the kit i'm after if I ever can start getting a good efficiency from what I am using now.
If not I may have to get king Brown smashed and have a game of poker.
5 cubes that a lot from 1 boil and cubes keep up to a year. Like like like

ekul

Reaction score
The pot is from allquip. The burner is a 32 jet mongolian from keeferbros.com.au Doesn't have a high pressure reg on it, just a normal one. All up this is a setup for less than $500 and can push out 100L comfortably in 5 hours from start to finish. What more could you want?

The only downside is if you make a shit batch... However with all grain there are no shit batches :)

Prolly won't do a 100L batch again, will probably stick to 80L ones. Means i can boil the shit out of it. Now all i need to find is some heatproof insulation for the sides of the pot.

Kev- That pic is kind of how it was, but with more swearing and way more grain everywhere.

troopa

Reaction score
I could only dream about my 2400w element doing a 100liter BIAB in 5 hours
Shame im too lazy to setup gas.. hell im too lazy to go get gas when i run out on the BBQ :p

Tom

ekul

Reaction score
It would probably take 5 hours to get to strike temp! Gas is pretty good. Means when the power goes out you can still brew :)

I could only dream about my 2400w element doing a 100liter BIAB in 5 hours
Shame im too lazy to setup gas.. hell im too lazy to go get gas when i run out on the BBQ :p

Tom

Latest posts