Big W free postage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridges

Reaction score
Cheers. I took advantage of this last time it was mentioned here as well.

And their cans are already $1 or so cheaper than you can get 'em on Coopers own online store...and Coopers charge a whopping $15 flat rate delivery. So stock up!

Bridges, for short links, just copy the URL as you normally do, then highlight a word (or words) in your post and click the little icon above that looks like a piece of chain with a green + under it (should be underneath the "Size" box). Then paste the URL into the field that appears and hit ok. You have just created a linky.

I bought a dozen dry malt boxes to tide me over my next few batches. They never have any on the shelves when I go to get some, or they might have 1 or 2. Certainly not enough when you need something like 6 boxes per full extract batch.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

slash22000 said:
I bought a dozen dry malt boxes to tide me over my next few batches. They never have any on the shelves when I go to get some, or they might have 1 or 2. Certainly not enough when you need something like 6 boxes per full extract batch.

Thanks for the heads up mate.
Do you not have a local HBS that sells DME in 5kg (or greater) lots? Usually a lot cheaper that way. Or somewhere like DHBW have 1kg bags for under $8, might do a further discount if you were to buy 5kg or more, and IIRC their delivery is capped at $15.

12 x Big W Coopers malt = $68.88 with free delivery
6kg DME from DHBW = $47.40 with $15 delivery, so $62.40 (with a possible further discount).

Might be worth a look? Just remember to call DHBW regarding delivery, their website delivery calculator doesn't work well for bulk stuff.

This happens every time I place and order for extract etc, the next day I could have got it for free shipping.

Next time I will give you all a heads up when I place and order and wait for the amazing sales the next day.

There is a brewshop in Darwin but their prices are insane. $7.95 for 500g of dry malt, or $252 for 20kg (which still comes out to $6.30 per 500g). The liquid extract costs even more.

Never actually heard of DHBW before. Looks like their shipping is probably still going to be expensive since Fastway Couriers (the cheap option basically every store uses) don't deliver to Darwin, which is friggin typical. Everywhere else but Darwin. -_-

I'm surprised at how few people seem to know about DHBW. Their prices are pretty astounding...take a look at their 30 litres fermenter kits with grommet, airlock, temp strip, o-ring & tap...$28.20. The exact same FV kit at my local HBS (Brewcraft) is a whopping $49.90.

They don't have grain for AG brews, but they do have specialty grain for steeping in extract brews. They even have the Coopers LME cans for $9.90, and US05 yeast for $3.65.

If you can get bulk orders together, it quickly evens out the $15 delivery, especially if you team up an order with a mate who lives nearby. You just have to remember to call them and organise delivery and payment over the phone rather than relying on the website.

No affiliation, I just admire their pricing! A real shame if they don't deliver to Darwin though.

slash22000 yer dam right mate i recon i know the shop you mean the dopey dude across from bcf :D ,hES ALLWAYS smilling when i go in there ,you beuty another sucker lol ,and no bloody wonder why ,coz us poor suckers dont have a choice were to buy our gear.Just a plain old 24ltr fermenter and lid cost me over 30 bucks then 5 bucks for the dam airlock.I priced some gear from the states until i got the invoice for shipping it was nearly the same price as my items.close to 50 bucks.It might pay us to get a few crew together and combind postage for stuff and get it from down south.Really that mob dont deliver to Darwin why the hell not .its not as if we are in so out of the way place ,that planes dont fly to .Im ringing em now. :beerbang: :beerbang:

I just rang aussiebrewer they seem to have ok prices,but ship with australia post so ,it might be exxy

I note there's a Bunnings in Darwin.
These 30L jobbies are absolutely brilliant for fermenting, around $18. I just use clingwrap but they come with screw on lid, O ring and tap hole.

conditioning method 1.jpg

Bribie G said:
I note there's a Bunnings in Darwin.
These 30L jobbies are absolutely brilliant for fermenting, around $18. I just use clingwrap but they come with screw on lid, O ring and tap hole.
Aye I use the ~20L ones (easily hold the ~22L batches I brew), I can fit two of them in my freezer.

bigcroc64 said:
slash22000 yer dam right mate i recon i know the shop you mean the dopey dude across from bcf :D ,hES ALLWAYS smilling when i go in there ,you beuty another sucker lol ,and no bloody wonder why ,coz us poor suckers dont have a choice were to buy our gear.Just a plain old 24ltr fermenter and lid cost me over 30 bucks then 5 bucks for the dam airlock.I priced some gear from the states until i got the invoice for shipping it was nearly the same price as my items.close to 50 bucks.It might pay us to get a few crew together and combind postage for stuff and get it from down south.Really that mob dont deliver to Darwin why the hell not .its not as if we are in so out of the way place ,that planes dont fly to .Im ringing em now. :beerbang: :beerbang:
Yeah he's a friendly bloke but who wouldn't be with those prices?

I've been looking into using Greyhound to transport stuff from down south, seems to be the cheapest way that I can figure out. Still costs ~$50 to send a 25kg sack of grain up though.

I've spent the day playing with the spreadsheet trying to figure out what I can make lets call it the Big W challenge.
Thinking an Aussie lager
CPA can
1.5kg ldme
some POR maybe??
23 litres
see how it goes?

This is recipe 6 i've come up with today been also looking at toucan possibilities so many options I'm not sure which way to jump!

oh ok greyhound really,yer smilling all the way to the bank,just a thought have you checked the price of frieght on the train ,

Hey bribieg i like the look of them,i went there the other day and was going to get me a 25ltr bucket ,but after trying 50 lids i gave up .Will go for a look at those .
Cheers Rob

You really don't need a lid, I just put glad wrap over mine like Bribie.

Haven't had a look at the train yet. Dunno where I'd start.

Yer i just worked that out slash22000,i got am email back this arv from DHBW not sure what the price is for shipping ,be best to register then add crap to your cart and see what the price is i spose.,The train hmmm i think it takes frieght but you might have to go through toll.
G`DAY MATE
We ship aust wide but Darwin is dearer to ship to unless it is in 5kg post bags.
Regards DHBW

Latest posts

Back