• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Big W 19lt False Bottom - FREE

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavas

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a pre-drilled Big W 19lt pot that I was going to use for a single vessel recirc system. I gave up on the idea and bought a BM so I don't have any use for this. It is pre drilled with 3 or 4mm holes (can't remember now) and is excellent as a false bottom (very little grain passes through). I cut the handles off but fitted some screws to hold it in place in my urn. You may be able to rivet some handles on it you so desire.

Rather than chuck it, I thought I would offer it up here. I live out of Perth but make the trek up nearly every week so could drop it off or meet up somewhere (provided its not crazy northern suburbs). Happy to post at new owner's expense. I imagine postage would be hefty based on volume though.

Pot is free but I will gladly accept a bottle or two of beer just the same :) Brew Pot 1.jpgBrew Pot 2.jpgBrew Pot 3.jpg

thats a lot of holes.. did you drill that yourself?

I had one similar but wasnt as neatly done as that...

Yeah, took a couple of HSS bits before I relented and bought a cobalt tipped one. Originally I was going to cut the bottom out and bolt in a trivet from BCF, but turns out their "stainless" is actually mild steel and it rusted. So I used the trivet as a template. Took ages to drill.

tavas said:
Yeah, took a couple of HSS bits before I relented and bought a cobalt tipped one. Originally I was going to cut the bottom out and bolt in a trivet from BCF, but turns out their "stainless" is actually mild steel and it rusted. So I used the trivet as a template. Took ages to drill.
I'd say!! Much more patient than I would be, I would have drilled three holes and thrown the bugger out! :)

Does anyone out there have any experience using one of these big w pots in an urn based recirc system? Is the pot big enough to hold 4kg of wet grain? (Yes, I've done a search)

I'm currently recirculating in an urn using a BIAB bag and a strainer to keep it off the concealed element and wondering whether a modified big w pot would be a better option.

thedragon said:
Does anyone out there have any experience using one of these big w pots in an urn based recirc system? Is the pot big enough to hold 4kg of wet grain? (Yes, I've done a search)

I'm currently recirculating in an urn using a BIAB bag and a strainer to keep it off the concealed element and wondering whether a modified big w pot would be a better option.
it's big enough to "hold" 4kg of grain, but as a mash tun you'd be better off with an esky. For BIAB forget about it.

How big is your urn?

I've got a 40L crown. The urn works well for biab,however after seeing the OPs photo, I was thinking of ditching the bag and replacing it with a pot.

Ok so you're planning on using the urn as a HLT and recirculating from that, then pumping your finished wort back into the urn for the boil? That would work. I could be wrong but it seems to be a lot more stuffing around for not much benefit.

It's not a particularly developed or well thought out plan, but I thought that I could continue to use the urn as a single vessel brewery, but as a recirc system, inserting the big pot in it, instead of the biab bag. The wort would come out of the urn's tap and get pumped via a little brown pump back in to the top of the urn, running through the grain bed.

As you say, it may be a lot of effort for little extra benefit.

That was how I was using it, with a little brown pump to recirc. It worked, but I needed to optimise it which I just gave up on. Big Nath had a thread going on single vessel breweries.

Tavas, thanks for the tip mate. I now remember seeing pics of big nath's single vessel set up. I'll check it out tonight for some pointers. Cheers, Daniel

I'll take it mate if no-one else wants it. Don't want to see it go to waste after all that hard work you've done.

Back