Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Wow Cervantes that does look like some absolutely rubbish water you have to battle with there, damn.
Yes. It's actually bore water and crap for brewing.

In the winter I use rain water, but have a mild fermenting at the moment, made using the scheme water that has been run through an RO unit.

Hopefully that will turn out okay.

Will find out in a few days when I get home and crash and keg it.

mofox1 said:
Melbourne, South East Water

Averages from the 2013 - 2014 report.

pH: 7.5

Ca: 5.5 ppm
Mg: 1.1 ppm
Na: 4.8 ppm
Cl: 8.0 ppm
SO4: 1.5 ppm
CaCO3: 15 ppm

You lucky, lucky *******!

Thanks, it looks like I actually already entered it in the Bru'n calculator. I'm just confused and tired.

From reading The Yarra Valley Water Quality report found here: http://www.yvw.com.au/yvw/groups/public/documents/document/yvw1005399.pdf
Monbulk has a Chloramination treatment (which is rare/uncommon from what I've read). I did a search and it's recommended to use potassium metabisulfite, which can be found on craft brewer.

Just wondering if anyone out there in Adelaide (or elsewhere in the world) has an update for Adelaide tap water. My latest figures are getting a little dated being the last 5 year data sheet that United Water did before SA Water took over. SA Water only have the pH and Total Hardness results since 2011, so are of almost no use (very glossy pictures and feel good statements in their reports though :huh: ). Almost useless info at https://www.sawater.com.au/about-us/annual-reports

I'd be keen to know if the Chloride, Sodium and Sulphate levels have changed since 2010 as those years had low rain fall and a lot of pumping from a very sick River Murray. I'm wondering if the salt levels have gone down in the last 3-4 years with higher rain falls in the catchment areas and the de-sal plant coming online (although hardly used I hear). I am submitting a general enquiry form to SA Water for a more detailed analysis, but hoped that someone here might have the brewing basics for us in Adelaide.

Here are the latest useful stats I have from the last year (2010) United Water did the reporting even though they are not that much different (or up to date) than those posted by Dr Smurto in 2008.
View attachment Adelaide water 5yeardata04_09.xls

Might put Baldivis WA on the map.

I had given up trying to get the analysis for Tamworth Hill water supply and then Biggety Bam.... Faith restored.
Alkalinity as CaCO3 not Bicarbonate but gives a ballpark average.
[SIZE=14.6667px]In saying that, I've been told that [/SIZE]water corp for this area are consistently mixing and transferring the water supply from different catchment areas with bore water so the spec changes considerably from month to month.

Cheers,
Froth

View attachment PM-#13861043-v1-DWQ_Data_Sheet_Tamworth_Hill_2015.PDF

Ha. Who would have thought it. All you have to do is ask :ph34r: . I got a nice PDF emailed to me by SA Water with all the data I requested, plus a couple that I didn't request. And it was specifically for my suburb (or at least thats what they wrote on there, but it does also say 'which is within the Central Metro Water Supply System'. I've blanked out my suburb, but otherwise here it is for all the Adelaidians who live in the city, the inner north, eastern, western and sourthern suburbs.

View attachment Adelaide water data - Central Metro System - 2015-2016.pdf

It appears that CaCO3, chloride, sodium, sulphate, magnisium levels have dropped a fair bit since 2010, so maybe the higher rain fall these last couple of years has done the trick.

Jack of all biers said:
Ha. Who would have thought it. All you have to do is ask :ph34r: . I got a nice PDF emailed to me by SA Water with all the data I requested, plus a couple that I didn't request. And it was specifically for my suburb (or at least thats what they wrote on there, but it does also say 'which is within the Central Metro Water Supply System'. I've blanked out my suburb, but otherwise here it is for all the Adelaidians who live in the city, the inner north, eastern, western and sourthern suburbs.

attachicon.gif
Adelaide water data - Central Metro System - 2015-2016.pdf

It appears that CaCO3, chloride, sodium, sulphate, magnisium levels have dropped a fair bit since 2010, so maybe the higher rain fall these last couple of years has done the trick.
Legend! Have been meaning to get onto this. Cheers

Water report attached for the Armadale / Kelmscott locality in Perth WA. October 2015.
A bit more detailed than whats in the general report available on their website (actually shows Magnesium & Sulphate levels)

View attachment DWQ_ArmKelm2015.pdf

Latest posts

Back