Big Burners In Aus!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Well I believe I have found a local distributor for the Killa Burners that Asher was buying from Morebeer.

Check out the gear on this page. :eek:

A quick phone call to the Melobourne distributor priced the

23 Burner NG = $40 (may be plus GST)
32 Burner NG = $48 (may be plus GST)

This price is AUD as well!!

I have one question which I need answering before I purchase, will I have any problems kitting this baby up to my NG outlet outside in terms of the plumbers telling me it has to be piped and not on flexible hose?

Hopefully my wort will be roasting soon! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

oooooh that 32 burner looks the business.
Let us know how you go.

Beers,
Doc

Nice Find Jason. Where do you live? I'll look out for a glow on the horizon....

Excellent.... They have a shop in Sydney too......

Don't you reckon the Wok burner is the goods? 59 MJ :ph34r:

It must be meant to be I found the same page last night. I emailed them but have not heard from them yet.

Did they only have the one office in Melbourne or do they have resellers as well.

I got to get me a couple of them.

excellent find guys.
keep all informed please.
also whats the diff between ng and lpg
also ratings? whats 59mj in btu,s?

cheers
big d

I can answer the ng and lpg question.
AFAIK ng is natural gas eg town supply gas.
lpg is gas bottles that most of us use.

Beers,
Doc

cheers doc
not being a gas head :D do you reckon it could be plumbed to lpg.my reasoning says yes as i would hard pipe it to a point that i then connect to a hose to the lpg tank.ng/lpg same thing ?
ones liquid state ones gasious?

cheers
big d

thanks simon
reckon it would be good to know the mj,s/btu,s of the two ubeaut burners that we now know are available in oz thanks to some great detective work by fellow ahbers.

Burners are designed to run on either lpg or ng.
The jets etc are slightly different sizes.
That is why they have two part codes for the burners, one for ng and one of lpg.
You have to buy the burner for what you are going to run it off.

That is about the extent of my knowledge. Maybe someone else on here can provide more info.

Beers,
Doc

Ok had another chat to the suppliers regarding any likely legality issues in using this gear from my NG bbq outlet. Upshot sounds like you may run into some problems doing this as you would have to adheare to a number of standards as these units are normaly part of a fixed bench system (ie wok burners). This could impact on your home insurance if you burn the joint down ... :blink:

Aside from that it sounds like the LPG version would be a bit easier in that it would be considered a protable appliance and therefor not subjec to the sam kinda deal. You will need some kinda valve on this as there is no control of flame etc ....

This is all just a conversation so may be completely wrong but some points worth considering. I may ponder over the LPG option over the weekend and think about and order next week. Will post if I do.

If going the LPG route make sure you find out exactly what regulator would be required first, or try to source the regulator from the same place. I guess it would need to be a proper, dual gauge, variable pressure reg, not a bbq reg which probably wouldnt have enough pressure or flow.

Well in the end it all sounded like just a bit too much effort. If you are willing to do the running about I am sure it would be a great burner but I just couldn't be stuffed in the end.

Soooo I went and bought a 4 ring burner ($85) and it works a treat got 33L of wort to the boil in somewhere between 15 - 20 mins I think. Even managed to boil over the 50L pot initially before I caught it.

hmm more heat now :)

2004_0422burner0001.JPG

Well since Jason (thanks) posted the gameco link I have found out a few things:

● Gameco in Melbourne don't seem to keen on replying to email. It is best to ring. When I spoke to a dude there and explained the application he recommended the HP-200LP model. This is LPG, high pressure, 80MJ burner, all up costing $150 (burner, hose, valve, high pressure, adjustable reg). If you can get out to Preston they apparently can fire one up for you.

● Today I saw a 280MJ :ph34r: mongolian burner in the flesh - it was pyromaniac heaven down at Techrite in Springvale. Brad was most helpful. That particular huge unit will burn through a 9kg in less than 2 hours! It wasn't clear how low it could be turned down though.

● I saw the 3 ring cast iron jobs for $36 at Grangers Camping which is half the price of Rays Outdoor world. They did have the bigger ones but I can't remember the price.

● To plug a wok burner into your NG is apparently a class B (regular gas appliances are class A) which probably requires an inspection among other things. At least that's what I recall from the phone conversation.

$150 is not too bad I think the 4 ring is rated at 42MJ and cost me $120 including the hose + reg (Ranger Camping). Thought it wasn't too bad given BBQ galore had the burner for $125!

Would be nice to have seen the mongolian in the flesh! :) 9kg in 2 hours makes for expensive brewing ....

JasonY said:
9kg in 2 hours makes for expensive brewing ....
Thats only when it's flat out. I guess if the system is just as efficient (I have nothing to base that on), then you shouldn't use any more gas, just get to the boil quicker.

Jason y, just going over an old thread, and noticed your 4 burner setup from Ranger, what type of regulator are you using/

BTW the burner I ended up using was "wok burner". All up including high pressure regulator, 3m hose and burner with pilot light was $110 from Gameco.

Pics are here.

Latest posts

Back