Big Brewing Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Akthough the brass fitting looks quite black.

This suggests that blackened brass may be really bad regarding lead from the brass leaching into your wort.

Darren - I am quite sure that over hopping is not the problem. One brew I made, beer smith quoted it at 9.8 IBU, from experience, I think with my system, the beer smith estimation needs to be multiplied by about 1.45 to get the true value, and it was veyr bitt and gruesome. It is not at all like hop bitterness. It is very harsh and does takes a lot longer to go away.

/// - I only keep beer on the yeast cake if it is no good. I usually do that if I have tasted the bad taste 3-7 days into the ferment and cant be bothered cleaning the fermenter properly. Incidently though, I have tasted some of those brews a month or so later, which have been sitting on the garage floor with all the yeast and they taste much better (still really bad though) after that time (I have posted that the bad taste dissipates over time slowly) and I have never tasted a hint of autolysis.

Newguy - The article says its posisble to leach lead into the wort. It does not say its bad or that is has any flavour inpact. None the less, I really should get rid of that fitting and replace it with a stainless one....not sure if they make such a thing though!

Newguy - The article says its posisble to leach lead into the wort. It does not say its bad or that is has any flavour inpact.

I think that may be assumed Pip. Lead = Bad. Think of the Roman Empire.

While having nothing of substance to add to this thread, I've just read it ALL (no joke) from beginning to where the plot currently thickens, and I'd have to say it's the best who-done-it I've come across in a long long while. Keep posting Pip!! :super:

Darren - I am quite sure that over hopping is not the problem. One brew I made, beer smith quoted it at 9.8 IBU, from experience, I think with my system, the beer smith estimation needs to be multiplied by about 1.45 to get the true value, and it was veyr bitt and gruesome. It is not at all like hop bitterness. It is very harsh and does takes a lot longer to go away.

PP, have you thought that maybe you don't like the taste of beer? If you can smell your "vial" flavour at the boil I cannot see how you can get over your problem.

cheers

Darren

I know I`ll get an arsekicking for this,but it won`t change my mind........after following the 3 pages of this thread, my extract and spec. grain beers are looking better and more trouble free with every post.
Sorry about that and Pip, good luck sorting it out. Don`t think there`s to many solutions left for you. :eek:

stagga.

@stagga - Not to start a flame war or nothing, but from what I can see, nothing that Pip's done (or not done) to lead to this problem has been specific to AG. I'd bet you can get the exact same problem (whatever that may be) using extracts, or even K&K. If it's the taps getting gunked up, you've got the same chance of gunking up your strainer/whatever. If it's a ferment issue, there's no difference. That said, yes - there are more places you need to investigate if you get a problem with AG. All you'd (and keep in mind... I'd have to too since I'm still not quite at AG) have to do would be to change the kitchen pot.

Pip - I really think you need a few first hand experiences from other members. The forum is probably not going to figure out what you're problem is. We can only make suggestions. Perhaps look through Palmer's section "Is my beer ruined?" and see if you can narrow it down a bit. Good luck :beer:

The rules are simple.

Pre boil:
Ingredients, recipe and process will account for a type of beer you are seeking to brew.
Post boils:
All equipment that the wort gets in contact must be sterile
Fermentation:
Healthy Yeast and temperature control is highly recommended.
Transfering beer:
All equipment that the beer gets in contact must be sterile and avoid aeration at all cost.

On the assumption that you are controlling all these aspect in home brewing the equipment will play very little part in affecting the flavour of the brew.
Saying that, I am not discounting that the cause to be limited to these factor.

We have covered the water factor, yes?

Good luck ;)

I think that may be assumed Pip. Lead = Bad. Think of the Roman Empire.
While having nothing of substance to add to this thread, I've just read it ALL (no joke) from beginning to where the plot currently thickens, and I'd have to say it's the best who-done-it I've come across in a long long while. Keep posting Pip!! :super:
I think it was Colonel Mustard, with the Lead Piping , in the Study...(or Brew Shed)...

I am quite sure it is not a metal ion problem as the only non-stainless metals are the copper elements and one breass fitiing in the HLT, neither of which look remotely shiny. Akthough the brass fitting looks quite black. I have a friends who has brass in his kttle and it looks the same, but his beers tast efine

It seems at this stage I have narrowed it down to either something in my HLT, mash tun or the mashing cycle. I still think it sounds like astringency from the malt.

Try tasting the hot water out of the HLT and, for that matter, out of the kettle since they seem to be more or less the same 44 drum design. It's probably a bit late now, but you could also try the standard 1:2 peroxide (3%):vinegar treatment for your brass fittings - 5 mins @ room temperature. I assume the kettle employs internal element(s)? Any possibility of scorching going on there? You could try boiling up some sugary, appropriately acidified water as a test. Lastly, gelatine finings can reduce tannic astringency, at a cost. You could always draw off a sample and try it.

Just thought I should let you guys know I am now sure the problem I was having was the tannin extraction from sparging too hot. I have done a couple of grain brews and they are fine. The trippel I brewed that I thought had a bit of the problem has turned out ok...I think I was just scared it was there.

Thanks for all you help.

Good to hear that you have nailed it bloke :)
It was a painful exercise to go through but you have a wealth of knowledge about strategies to take if you do come across some nasty resident bugs :)
Thanks for keeping us updated !
Cheers
Doug

Latest posts

Back