Big Brewers looking for a Tax Cut (Hurray )

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine the outcry from the wowsers if the Govt cuts tax on grog! All Hell would break loose

Don't need to cut tax on all grog just the important stuff like BEER. Definitely wont be holding my breath either but would be great to see a bit more excise relief out there.

Not like the consumer is going to benefit from the freeze. Big bucks for the CUB though.

lol with the labour deficit blowing out another 7 billion today alone and still abut 2 weeks till the budget proper = likely to be 40 billion by then...

we can expect some tax hikes....

personally i think they should just raise GST to 12% as that has the lowest effect to me....

VAT oops GST is fairly reasonable here at 10% - I really was surprised when it came in at such a low rate, they should have bitten the bullet and got the pain over with straight away. Most Euro countries have been 15 - 20% for decades even before the EU, and in the USA they pay a lot of state taxes. Then maybe we wouldn't have so many potholes or long waiting lists for everything. Typical of Australia, whine about paying taxes then whine when we don't get the government providing us with gold plated services paid for presumably by the tooth fairy.

Bribie G said:
VAT oops GST is fairly reasonable here at 10% - I really was surprised when it came in at such a low rate, they should have bitten the bullet and got the pain over with straight away. Most Euro countries have been 15 - 20% for decades even before the EU, and in the USA they pay a lot of state taxes. Then maybe we wouldn't have so many potholes or long waiting lists for everything. Typical of Australia, whine about paying taxes then whine when we don't get the government providing us with gold plated services paid for presumably by the tooth fairy.
All sounds good in theory but income and other taxes are generally lower in those countries. With the average income tax in Australia at 20% and then you fork out 20% GST the government take will be closing in on 40% just in direct taxes alone.
I can't see it going above 10% any time soon, certainly not in poor economic times but I can see them broadening the base.
10% GST now applied to Raw Chickens!!

Europe is rooted.

Only one US state has a sales tax higher than our GST (at 10.5%) - and great many are lots lower (some as low as 1%).

The Australian economy is bad?

I have no idea what planet you guys are from but I can't wait for the mothership to return. I'm building shit out of mashed potatoes right now just in case it helps.

An increase in tax on beer would see more people taking up homebrewing.

With the budget deficit you can rest assured alcohol taxes will rise in the Budget. Maybe time to stockpile to lessen the blow

You wonder who will be the first to introduce a flat tax on alcohol. It wouldn't be a bad time to do it, but then again the federal government gets slagged off for anything they do or don't do at the moment.

That's what the Henry Tax Review recommended- flat tax of $x per litre of pure alcohol, no matter what the drink.

Back