Quantcast

Big Brewers looking for a Tax Cut (Hurray )

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

hellbent

Reaction score
Imagine the outcry from the wowsers if the Govt cuts tax on grog! All Hell would break loose

mmmyummybeer

Reaction score
Don't need to cut tax on all grog just the important stuff like BEER. Definitely wont be holding my breath either but would be great to see a bit more excise relief out there.

tricache

Brewer/Gamer/Nerd
Reaction score
DU99 said:
it would have to be across the board,not just beer..
That would be my thinking too...it would be a cut to Alcohol Tax in general.

treefiddy

Reaction score
Not like the consumer is going to benefit from the freeze. Big bucks for the CUB though.

Maheel

Reaction score
lol with the labour deficit blowing out another 7 billion today alone and still abut 2 weeks till the budget proper = likely to be 40 billion by then...

we can expect some tax hikes....

personally i think they should just raise GST to 12% as that has the lowest effect to me....

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Hot off the press: company thinks it should pay less tax.

Next up: Lawyers- dishonest?

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
VAT oops GST is fairly reasonable here at 10% - I really was surprised when it came in at such a low rate, they should have bitten the bullet and got the pain over with straight away. Most Euro countries have been 15 - 20% for decades even before the EU, and in the USA they pay a lot of state taxes. Then maybe we wouldn't have so many potholes or long waiting lists for everything. Typical of Australia, whine about paying taxes then whine when we don't get the government providing us with gold plated services paid for presumably by the tooth fairy.

labels

Reaction score
Bribie G said:
VAT oops GST is fairly reasonable here at 10% - I really was surprised when it came in at such a low rate, they should have bitten the bullet and got the pain over with straight away. Most Euro countries have been 15 - 20% for decades even before the EU, and in the USA they pay a lot of state taxes. Then maybe we wouldn't have so many potholes or long waiting lists for everything. Typical of Australia, whine about paying taxes then whine when we don't get the government providing us with gold plated services paid for presumably by the tooth fairy.
All sounds good in theory but income and other taxes are generally lower in those countries. With the average income tax in Australia at 20% and then you fork out 20% GST the government take will be closing in on 40% just in direct taxes alone.
I can't see it going above 10% any time soon, certainly not in poor economic times but I can see them broadening the base.
10% GST now applied to Raw Chickens!!

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
Europe is rooted.

Only one US state has a sales tax higher than our GST (at 10.5%) - and great many are lots lower (some as low as 1%).

The Australian economy is bad?

I have no idea what planet you guys are from but I can't wait for the mothership to return. I'm building shit out of mashed potatoes right now just in case it helps.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
An increase in tax on beer would see more people taking up homebrewing.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
With the budget deficit you can rest assured alcohol taxes will rise in the Budget. Maybe time to stockpile to lessen the blow

black_labb

Reaction score
You wonder who will be the first to introduce a flat tax on alcohol. It wouldn't be a bad time to do it, but then again the federal government gets slagged off for anything they do or don't do at the moment.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
That's what the Henry Tax Review recommended- flat tax of $x per litre of pure alcohol, no matter what the drink.

Latest posts