Big Brew Day

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jovial_Monk

Hmmmmmm, a couple of wrecks just got poured into cars and driven away.

Big Brew Day at the Jovial Monk was a roaring success!

Not only did the pisspots shift $100 of imported beers AND copious homebrew BUT two batches of beer got brewed AND sundry passers-by got lit, errr, illuminated on the fine art of full and part mash brewing, but also a good days business was transacted with many K+k brewers cionverted to "shit, I better do more interesting beers" type brewers put on the slippery slope to mash brewing.

Boy, I am still at the shop, not gonna call any fricken taxi untill that hot shiny thing in the sky goes away. Like, I am not gonna drive my car into the laneway behind the shop untill the ground stops moving!

AND we are all gonna have our picture in the newspaper!

Hic!

Jovial Monk

either be the messenger or the advertiser unless there is a new tabloid in crowland. <_<

The G-SPOT was also a great day today, with too many brewers to count and and wonderfully well crafted irish red ale put down whilst drinking too many brews to mention. I couldn't even begin to start naming names but the joint was packed.
Just got home after finishing the nite off with a wicked session at the holdy.
It looks like you had a little too many JM, it sound like you had a equally good day though.
Untill next time at the G-SPOT.Thanx too everyone who made it and hope too see you next time for another session.
Jeez i can't believe iam even coherent.
anyway what a wicked day.

Jayse

Sounds like it was a good day jayse and Monk...ey :p
Wish I could have been at the G-Spot :( I really miss brewing, sad isn't it.

C&B
TDA

I would just like to add my thanks to Ray Mills of the IBU's for opening his house/backyard for the BBD in Bulli. I had a wonderful time down there and met a few of the 'Gong brewers.

I had a ball at the monk's. Was good to get some real hands on activity under the belt on bbd.

The highlight was watching that rich, glossy concentrated wort flowing from the mash tun and realizing I, too, could master this ancient alchemy if I choose to. I felt a little vulnerable brewing so publically on the pavement outside the shop, shy retiring sort that I am ;) . Time will tell as far as the brew is concerned. First up partial and first up lager is going to test my patience severely. Lets hope i can be strong.

Not surprising the monk was a little the worse for wear, Triple Karmeleit, Rochefort 10 and Urbock are all truly substantial beers. Not to mention jazman's mega pils. And all much appreciated too. Tom. I love the nun's work especially.

Great to catch up with you too Jazman, and the other Monk customers that flowed through steadily thorough the day.

And ..... after the dayshift came the overtime. It was also good to catch up with a fair sprinkling of the G Spot diehards at the Holdy later on in the night, for a few brews and a fine meal. Sounds like you guys had a ball too.

My liver cries out in sympathy for any of you rocking up to the beerfest today, but if you are there have a Hoegarden Forbidden Fruit for me.

awrabest, your brother in brewing

wee stu

I got a forbidden fruit into me for you weestu but the best beer of the day goes to the alhpa pale ale.
It was indeed a show in itself us sitting around at the table at the holdy.

Untill next time.
Jayse

Here is a piccy of BBD at the Monk

Jazzman is sparginging, we are pissing (Wee Stu partly visible behind Jazz was also brewing a part mash) a few of the other people who came along watching it all. I am next to Wee Stu, scratching the back of my head for some reason.

Jovial Monk

P1010010.jpg

AND

Not to be outdone, here's what happened at the 'G' Spot for Big Brew 2004.

Here at the ‘G’ Spot 2004
Brewers all gathered, twenty, or more
Beer decided none divided
Malt all cracked and Mash united.

Three cheers for the Rubbermaid, plastic bin
Saw cut Manifold just fitted in
Check the temperature, just to be sure
Don’t want a problem, or results ll’ be poor

One hour later Mash complete
Run into a jug,.. gently please Pete
Pour it back in, don’t waste a drop
Runnings are bright,..straight from the top

Into the kettle, hop schedule prepared
Just add to the boil, don’t be scared
Ben adds the finish under watchful eye
The boil now over and kettle raised high

Burnt hand the result, hot kettle at base
Gee.. you should have seen, the look on his face
The devil was burned, and blisters abound
Ice was the fix and more beer goes round

Hook up the counterflow, great piece of kit
Hoses and fittings it did the trick
In the fermenter, temperature right
We’ll pitch the yeast now or be here all night

Airlock frantic, too pedantic
Just had a taste, wow!. Fantastic.
A good Irish Ale, beautiful pour
With GOLIATH for Big Brew …Two thousand and four

I'm a cretin on computers so I don't know how to paste the piccie in. So see it on www.brewgoliath.com.au

A great day, with good support.. Well done to all.

Regards
Dave

While on this subject, good news for Wee Stu.

Cleaned the big pan you did your concentrated boil in: not a trace of a scorch! That means your mash was efficient and converted all the starch! That is more than I managed on my first partmash. Walk tall, Wee Stu!

Course, Stu had a past master at brewing guiding him through the day, that is, ME!

Jovial Monk

well what a great day down at the g-spot i specially learnt a bit more about ag brewing ... Thanks Dave and everyone for the providing great day were we all can learn something new..

cheers
ozdevil

bigbrew1.jpg

Judging from the photos Jayse, the big mash man and wee stu, the partial neophyte, have at least one thing in common - we both got our heads lopped off on big brew day :D

What about some names for the faces?

Who's who?

Im standing next to Jason in the right hand corner, White hat

Its actually a BUD hat lol Heaven Forbid!!

And yes i copped it when i rocked up, But it was either that or my afro (i need a hair cut)

Ben

thought id mention, This was about when Jayse was asking for about an hour to check the OG, BUt took him about an hour to get it done!

The hydromometer in the shop was ilthy, So ian just grabbed a new one off the shelf, lol

jayse asking for a to check OG
asking and asking but no one can hear
coz everyones tanked,
on mostly his beer!

then ian steps in,
an old employee
gets a new one from the shelf
use this one, he says, and not an oldie!

Back