Big Brew Day

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jovial_Monk said:
Big Brew Day will be held on May 1st

Don't have much more detail but I will register the shop as a BB site. Anybody wanting to put on or see a full mash then come along to the Jovial Monk.

AHBers in other states should try to interest their local HBSs to foster and event. They and the hobby will get some good publicity and all attending will have a good time.

I am happy to provide malt and hops if anyone wants to do a brew outside the Monk, they keep the beer.

More details later.

Jovial Monk
JM,

can you give me some more detail on the Big Brew Day? Is it an organised thing across the world? Who in Australia is organising it? What are the parameters? Is there a list of participating HBS?

Cheers - Snow

BBD is organised by the AHA.
You can find out all the details here.
As for Australian participation it is really up to HBS to get in and help promote the craft.

Beers,
Doc

so your saying, that at a particular time, every homebrewer (from registered sites) will toast their beer, And drink up!

aha...... Might have to see if my hbs has any more details

Ben

yup, ideally all across the world on the same day brewers get together and brew the same recipe (well, selection of recipes)

There will be a full mash beer and a part mash beer being brewed outside the Monk (bit of a drive from Paralowie but there you go, if you want to see mashing done come along)

Jovial Monk

Batz,

I've done that recipe that JM posted.
It is good but not as good as the OM recipe in another book I have.

Here is the recipe. It got me a Gold medal in the Qld comp last year and a Bronze at the Nationals.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Oktoberfest-Marzen

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-A German Amber Lager, Oktoberfest/Maerzen

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.064
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 7 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.40 Wort Size (L): 23.40
Total Grain (kg): 6.04
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.76
Anticipated SRM: 7.9
Anticipated IBU: 27.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG 11.78 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
53.8 3.25 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
37.3 2.25 kg. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
6.6 0.40 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.2 0.13 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.1 0.01 kg. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 23.5 45 min.
16.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 3.5 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.17 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 6.04
Water Qts: 20.42 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 19.32 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 67 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 23.35 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Thanks Doc,
I can always rely on you for a good recipe , what book do you get most of your recipes from , have to order a birthday present here !

Batz,

I have a number of books with AG recipes.
My two favourites for recipes are

Brew Classic European Beers at Home Info here.
and
Brewing the Worlds Great Beers Info here

The later is great for great recipes.

When I'm making my own recipe I use Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers book. It is an awesome reference.

Beers,
Doc

big brew day hey
woo hoo
ive got three on the books in arnhemland.
me,myself,and i ;)
and about 20 free loaders.
they provide the food and im up for the beer.
minus the natives about 2500 and im the grouse for may 1. ;)

big d...the only brewery in arnhemland. <_< talk about market exclusivity

Hmmmmmmm black malt? hmmmmm That was used in the SE United States and still today in Mexico in "the Graf version of the Standard Vienna" (Modello Negra etc)

A recipe book may have a recipe for any style beer, how good is that recipe? Are special procedures needed?

Now, as regards Oktoberfests, there is a Beer Style Series book on the subject by G & L Fix. they describe the history of the style, going all the way back to the days of Dreher and beyond. they also discuss the lagering needed, cautions in the handling of the mash and wort etc etc.

So ask for and brew recipes, just be aware there is likely a helluva lot more to know about a whole style of beers.

Jovial Monk

Only want to brew a beer , I am sure one could go into it deeper than asking for a recipe , but I don't have the time to study the entire history of every beer style I choose to try :blink:

well, black malt is defintely not part of any mainstream Oktoberfest

and a recipe is only a starting point

Like, would you decoct a maerzen? a bock? (N,Y)

Jovial Monk
with 2 doz beer books in his library and thirsting for more

I'm with you Batz,

Brew it, Drink it, enjoy it

Don't give much of a toss about the history behind it. :rolleyes:

hehehhehehe I for one think digging into the history of a beer style adds to my brewing enjoyment. Going to recreate one of the earliest of all beerstyles this year--beer made from sprouted barley bread :)

Jovial Monk

Have you made kvas at all? Eastern European small beer made from dried out brown bread. Bottles are primed with sultanas.

PostModern said:
Have you made kvas at all? Eastern European small beer made from dried out brown bread. Bottles are primed with sultanas.
Watch out for that sultana-priming buisness. Unknown amounts of sugar/sultana = potential bottlebombs. Authenticity is one thing, but explosives and rampant wives are another.

Murray said:
Watch out for that sultana-priming buisness. Unknown amounts of sugar/sultana = potential bottlebombs. Authenticity is one thing, but explosives and rampant wives are another.
The traditional method involves priming, unstopping the bottles then decanting thru cheesecloth into cleaned bottles before re-sealing. Lithuanian peasants have been making it for generations... centuries even :)

PostModern said:
The traditional method involves priming, unstopping the bottles then decanting thru cheesecloth into cleaned bottles before re-sealing. Lithuanian peasants have been making it for generations... centuries even :)
Lithuanian peasants were heavily involved in the production of both you and me PM. So they must be doing something right!!

A customer is going to give me 20K brewing barley this year

Going to make the bread beer made by the Sumerians and Egyptians. the Egyptian beer, zythos, was not only drunk but used to soften ivory by ivory carvers!

Also going to homemalt and sundry a lot of it, recreate some peasant brews (will add some viable oat, rye & wheat corns for more authenticity)

As regards kvas, how was the starch in the bread (exactly what bread?) turned into sugar to make alcohol? I think in many parts of Egypt & the African continent bread-beer
is still being made and consumed. As it should! Fermentation increases the vitamin content of the grain

Jovial Monk

This sort of story http://www.balticsworldwide.com/coke.htm brings a tear to my eye. Baltic peasants causing Coca-Cola to list a loss by bringing back mass-produced kvas.

The involves getting stale brown bread (like Estonian Sweet and Sour) and baking it until it is hard. You then grind it up, mix it with water and sugar (probably beet sugar) then ferment it in bottles (with baking yeast). After x days, the bottles are opened, strained of the bread crumbs, primed with sultanas then rebottled and sealed again.

I'm not sure what's involved in making the street kvas that the article above mentions.

And stu, yes :) I reckon Lithuania is to Eastern Europe what Australia is to the rest of the world - a small country that excels in whatever it attempts (well, that is if all it attempts is basketball).

EDIT: JM, and anyone else who might be interested, here's a modern recipe for kvas.

'With eight quarts water take 1 1/2 lb. malt, 1 lb. rye flour, 1 1/2 lb.
sugar, 1/8 of a lb. mint leaves, half pepper pod, and half cake of
yeast. Mix the malt and flour with boiling water and make a thick dough.
Put into barely warm oven, and leave for the night. Next day dilute
dough with eight quarts boiling water and pour into a wooden tub. Let
stand for 12 hours, then pass through a cloth. Pour one quart into an
enamel saucepan, put on fire, add 1 1/2 lb. sugar, and an infusion made
with the mint leaves (resembling weak tea). Boil once, then take off
fire, cool until just warm, and add the yeast previously diluted with
one cup of this same warm liquid. Let stand in warm place until it
begins to ferment; then pour it into the rest of the kvass in the wooden
tub, and let stand until bubbles appear. Prepare clean bottles, putting
one malaga raisin into each; pour in the kvass, cork the bottles, tie
the corks with string to the necks of the bottles, and keep in a warm
place for a day or two. Then put in a cold cellar.' --- R.C.B."

Looks like a basic mash and ferment. There are many recipes for a "soft" version - ie drink it one day old, but they'd be of little interest to this group :)

Dont forget guys this saturday is it and im brewing my first All grain at the monks
and wee stu doing his first partial so come along and wathc some mashing and learn and throw some question at us so those ontrested in coming got to the jovial monks and i may have a few pils for u

also i know a few are brewing at goliaths but at least get involed for some fun

Back