Big Brew Day

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jovial_Monk

Big Brew Day will be held on May 1st

Don't have much more detail but I will register the shop as a BB site. Anybody wanting to put on or see a full mash then come along to the Jovial Monk.

AHBers in other states should try to interest their local HBSs to foster and event. They and the hobby will get some good publicity and all attending will have a good time.

I am happy to provide malt and hops if anyone wants to do a brew outside the Monk, they keep the beer.

More details later.

Jovial Monk

sounds good jm
i will/should be in adelaide first two weeks of june.
hope your planning on a brew session around this time.if not nevermind as i will pop in and say gday anyway.exact dates later as im doing the support act for batzs world tour. :D

cheers
big d

Don't suppose you'd like to sponsor my big move to my first partial mash, would you JM? That should be happening around May 1st!!!

Or am I just being hopelessly Scottish??? :p :huh:

Failing that - just post a ripper partial recipe and grain bill to get me going.

wee stu

The best partial recipee that i have done was/is Grumpys Old Saxon Bock....

Excellent.
Dry hopped it as well...:)

i know you love dry hopping gmk but outa curiosity how much would you chuck in a brew?
about 30 grams im guessing

cheers
big d

Saxon Bock eh Ken?

Test out the lager fridge and do my first true lager at the same time as my first partial? :eek: Sounds good!! ;)

Probably dry hop with Saaz (love them Saaz), and get hold of my mate's Adelaide Hills rainwater for the job too!

Oh dear, what am I getting in to? :wacko:

Old Saxons only brewed ale, I think? :)

How much can you mash, Stu?

There is a nice recipe for Oktoberfest

Could you mash 1.2K Vienna, 1K Dark Munich and 220g Caramunich?
then bring gravity up to 1055 with extract (about 2.5Kg dry)
35g Hallertau for 60 min, 15g for 15 min and dryhop with Saaz if liked

Jovial Monk

wee stu

Boots and i shared the last pet bottle the other month.
It was 6 months old - ask him for a recomdation.

Dry Hopping
Usually 30-45gms...sometimes dry hop twice.
As in dry hop and leave it for 2 weeks - taste - needs more hops dry hop again with 30-45gms - and leave another 2 weeks.

Generally dry hop lots of amounts on the APA< IPA< stouts, darks and boston cream ales.

For big d....
will do a partial Old Saxon Bock that should be really good in May....especially since my birthday is in may...

Wee Stu
You could do a whole lot worse than the Old Saxon Bock.

GMK
It is a belter of a recipe. I added an extra half kilo each of Pale and Munich Malt bring the OG up closer to guideline standards (1.063) and booted it up to around 6.5% ABV. B)
Definitely not a session beer but great "end of the evening" sipper. Mine is around 7 months old now and has aged very well.
Dry hopping a bock isn't conventional but I imagine you used saaz?

JM
It's based on the place not the people ;)

"SteveSa

If you are coming up on the 19th Apr for Batz Brewery Tour - pleas bring some.
I have one stuby left of my Barley Wine and my highest score Scotish Ale - 124 points out of 150 possible - that i will open so that we can all try some.

I am pretty sure that i dry hopped with EKG - as it was Saxon and from England -supposedly...

This is sounding good

JM,
I hope the Big Brew Day , will not impact on the small brew day Sunday 18th April :blink:

Definitely Saxony - not Sassenach!

JM - I can handle that amount (I think!!). If I understand the original message and you are going to supply the grain, I'm happy for an Oktoberfest to be the first partial. Brew in May for October drinking, sounds perfect.

GMK - arranged time off work for the Lyndoch leg of the Batz World Tour and am certainly looking forward to some of the Scottish Ale! What with Xmas, moving and lack of stockpile due to being newbie brewer, my oldest brew is only two weeks in bottle, and might yet be a bit green.

Speaking of Oktoberfests , anyone have a good proven AG recipe?

No bocks brewed in Saxony either. . .

From the CAMRA Brew Classic European Beers book (I recommend all to get!)

Spaten Oktoberfest Maerzen, 23L, IBU22, OG55, FG12 copper colored
Vienna malt, 3K
Dark Munich 2.5K
Caramunich 220g

90 min boil (personally, I would omit the caramunich and boil for 2.5 hours. . .)
sob 34g Hallertau
last 15min 15g hallertau

Yes Stu I would supply the grain & hops
No it won't impact the Apr brewday

Jovial Monk

I'm getting all excited. April's looking like a big month, leading into a bigger May1

OK the die is cast. Wee Stu's first partial will be an Oktoberfest courtesy of the monk, followed by an Old Saxon Bok (a beer of dubious ancestry, but high repute).

What yeasties do you reckon I should use? Both lagers, so would be good to use one strain for them both.

Back