Big Brew Day After 12monts Of Abstinence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Well had the big brew day on Saturday, the first in 12 months. I decided to brew an alt based on some of the recipes floating around this site and using the German Ale Dry Yeast with spalt hops and a 50/50 munich and ale base with some crystal and chocolate for colour.

It was a bit of a disaster. I had a new Mashmaster Thermostate tied into a 2400kw hws element for my kettle and a new "easy cooler" rubbermaid copy mash tun. Which worked a treat. I have the thermostate on a switch however after saturday i'm going to wire in the march pump.

I decided that all that i would unhook my pump and give it a good clean. Thank God i did. This thing was filthy. I must have forgotten to flush the lines after my previous brew. This green pond scum dribbled out of the pump.

I finished that day with an efficency of 65%, which i use to always and achieve and was aiming for. I dont usually give a rats a@se about effiecency however i sought of though with a better mash tun and the ability to better control the temperature, (i was able to keep it to 65C), i would achieve something a little better. It wasnt until the clean up that i noticed i somehow forgot to add in 600grams of munich. Not happy! However it did mean my effieciency was about 80% which i was happy with.

Either way the ale started at 1.040 and after a few days in the fermenter is tastes like one of the best ales i've brewered.

Absence makes the heart fonder they say!

Good on you Wedge. 12 months absence is a long time, that first beer will be fantastic. And considering you had two new items of equipement you did well.
The next brew will be a breeze.

Cheers
Andrew

Well had the big brew day on Saturday, the first in 12 months. I decided to brew an alt based on some of the recipes floating around this site and using the German Ale Dry Yeast with spalt hops and a 50/50 munich and ale base with some crystal and chocolate for colour.

It was a bit of a disaster. I had a new Mashmaster Thermostate tied into a 2400kw hws element for my kettle and a new "easy cooler" rubbermaid copy mash tun. Which worked a treat. I have the thermostate on a switch however after saturday i'm going to wire in the march pump.

I decided that all that i would unhook my pump and give it a good clean. Thank God i did. This thing was filthy. I must have forgotten to flush the lines after my previous brew. This green pond scum dribbled out of the pump.

I finished that day with an efficency of 65%, which i use to always and achieve and was aiming for. I dont usually give a rats a@se about effiecency however i sought of though with a better mash tun and the ability to better control the temperature, (i was able to keep it to 65C), i would achieve something a little better. It wasnt until the clean up that i noticed i somehow forgot to add in 600grams of munich. Not happy! However it did mean my effieciency was about 80% which i was happy with.

Either way the ale started at 1.040 and after a few days in the fermenter is tastes like one of the best ales i've brewered.

Absence makes the heart fonder they say!

Hi Wedge,

Welcome back.
I used that German ale dry yeast and the end results were good IMO, however I found that the beer definately improved with age.
I left mine 3 weeks in the cube in the fridge prior to gassing/kegging and the difference was quite noticeable.
Good luck with your brewing.

Cheers

Funny thing about this yeast, it totally fermented out in 5 days! I'm down to 1.012. My brews all temperature controlled and it doesnt taste like it has an infection.

Latest posts

Back