Big Brew Day 2007 - Griffin Spit Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Only a week and half out until the 2007 Big Brew Day.
I'm joing the Hills Brewers Guild for the event and will be brewing the Griffin Spit IPA.
However the AHA recipe uses Summit hops that we can't get down here yet. So I've got a few ideas on what I might substitute, but thought it would also be good to see what anyone else planning the same brew are going to use.

The recipe notes say
*Note: If Summit hops are unavailable at your local homebrew supply shop, substitute with another high-Alpha American hop.

Beers,
Doc

Griffin Spit IPA
Griffin Spit IPA
by Tony McCrimmon

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 L)
Anticipated OG: 1.073
Anticipated SRM: 10
Color Formula Used: Morey
Anticipated IBU: 190.3
Hop IBU Formula Used: Daniels
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

All-Grain Version

For 5 gallons using a 6.5-gallon or greater boil.
9.0 lb (4 kg) Pale Malt (2-row)
3.0 lb (1.4 kg) Munich Malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal 40L
0.5 lb (0.22 kg) Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (20 min.)
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (10 min.)
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (5 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (Dry Hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min.)
Yeast: White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast

Mash grains at 154F (68C) for one hour. Bring to 170F (77C) and sparge with 170F (77C) water. Collect enough wort (a little over 6 gallons or 22.7 L) to end up with 5 gallons (19 L) after a 90-minute boil. Add hops and Irish moss according to the recipe (note that all bittering in this beer comes from late addition hops). After a 90-minute boil, chill to 66F (19C), rack to fermenter, pitch yeast and aerate well. Pitch two packages of yeast or a gallon starter. Ferment at 66-68F (19-20C) for two weeks, then rack to secondary with dry hops added. Leave on hops for three weeks before bottling or kegging.

Surely Gerard will be able to hook you up with a big alpha yank hop???

We're brewing the Belgian strong ale

Doc,

What about tommahawk? DJR might know where to get some (but I didn't tell you) :rolleyes: :ph34r: ;)

Crozdog

Columbus (Tomahawk) might be the best looking at this FAQ page on the green board. Yumm, onions. :huh:

And I think you already have a source for those hops. :rolleyes:

Crozdog,

Columbus/Tommahawk was my first thought (and I have them in my hop freezer). However after I gave it some thought, I'm thinking it might be a bit harsh.
I'm leaning towards maybe Warrior or Magnum.

Doc

Yup i still have about 600g or more (haven't weighed the bag yet) of Tomahawk '06 at 14.5%... On a completely unrelated note, the Malt Shovel used lots of Tomahawk in their Hop Thief this year ;)

From reading about the Summit hops they have a tangerine like quality as well as the "onion/garlic" note that Tomahawk has. Perhaps some Simcoe might do it, i've tasted tangerine from that. Chinook is another but ends up being too harsh and grapefruity

If you want some Tomahawk PM me i have more than i need for about the next... 5 years, but i don't think you need it since you got plenty in the hopsdirect BB.

Warrior would be acceptable i reckon, at about 25% cohumulone it compares well to Summit at 25-30.

you guys are NUTS! thats alot of ibu's i can't even count that high.

It is a light refreshing lawnmower beer.
Do a seach on the 100+ IBU topic :beerbang:

Doc

oh so its the opposite of golf, the higher the better?

No, you just have to go through the Lupulin Threshold Shift.

Doc

LTS.jpg

Go half Simcoe half Amarillo, that's my guess from what I've read how other users describe it.

tdh

Crozdog,

Columbus/Tommahawk was my first thought (and I have them in my hop freezer). However after I gave it some thought, I'm thinking it might be a bit harsh.
I'm leaning towards maybe Warrior or Magnum.

Doc

Doc, I'd stick with your first thought - Columbus - I've just kegged a summer ale with 100% Columbus additions from 20 mins & it's not harsh at all. It has an assertive bitterness that i reckon will complement that recipe perfectly.

Cheers Ross

Doc, I'd stick with your first thought - Columbus - I've just kegged a summer ale with 100% Columbus additions from 20 mins & it's not harsh at all. It has an assertive bitterness that i reckon will complement that recipe perfectly.

Cheers Ross

What was your bitterness level Ross. The BBD recipe is at 190.3 IBU.
I don't mind Columbus, but just haven't gone that big with that single hop.

Doc

Go half Simcoe half Amarillo, that's my guess from what I've read how other users describe it.

tdh

Great suggestion TDH, that is what I'm going to go with.
So for a 23 litre batch I'm going to be using 400gr of these hops to get up to the bittering level of the recipe. Have had to up the batch size to 25 litres to account for some loss to hops :p

Doc

Back