Big Boilers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
I'm just trying to put together all the gear to turn AG. I'm in the Inner West and have looked in a few suburbs but so far I have had no luck in finding a large pot to use as a wort boiler.

Just wondering where you got your boiler, or where you think I could find large pots? I know a lot of people use kegs with gas burners but as I live in an apartment with two young children, I don't think I can do this for space and safety reasons. Any ideas would be gratefully received. :D

Stuart

Sounds great Nonicman. I guess the readies aren't really there for that at the moment. But I will definitely ask Santa for one of those little beauties. Looking for something a bit cheaper at present.

Nice one DOC! I don't think thats in his price range either, but its nice to dream.
I am thinking about making a S/S conical fermenter with a ball valve on the bottom so after primary fermentation just release the valve and drain off the yeast cake a leave for secondary or CC. I was wondering what the angle of repose would be for yeast slurry? as the angle of the cone wold be critical. Also need to come up with some type of S/S jacket around the fementer to regulate temps. Just a thought at this stage.

If money is a factor then try Alluminum pots 32lt pot for $62 that was last year give them a call they had burners as well

Peter's Wholesalers Camping & Disposals
751 The Horsley Drv Smithfield NSW 2164
ph: (02) 9604 7388

Horsley Disposals
751 The Horsley Drv Smithfield NSW 2164
ph: (02) 9604 7121

I know Leon at ESB Ranwick had a converted keg with tap already fitted, he was asking $100, stilll kicking myself for not getting it. Maybe worth a phone call, it was a while ago so he may not have it.

stuster,
I popped into this place a few months ago and they had 36 litre s/s stockpots for around $68 from memory. Seemed dirt cheap to me, might be worth checking out. Should be ok for 23 l batches i reckon, if you're careful watching for boil overs. Only problem for you is, its in melbourne.

vlbaby.

try www.wpreedy.com.au

They have some really nice stuff..
They wholsale - so there prices are good.

Thanks to you all for the good leads. I was getting a bit depressed not finding anything out there but now I'm sure I can track down a suitable vat for the wort. Bring on the grains! :p

Stu, i dont kow where you ar ein the inner west. But if you read this before everyone else here in sydney. I got myself a LARGE urn from the londonderry junkyard for $40. has an element in teh bottom already and a tap on the bottom. I spent another $20 fixing the tap and putting new wheels on teh bottom etc. ill see if i can dig up the pic i \posted on here. Junkyward is located on the corner of bennett street and richmond/blacktown rd. Not sure what point it changes names along there. Also have a lot f other crap you might wanna do something with.

Boiler pics

Where you see the tap on the boiler there i put some copper tube out the side from underneath, and then put a ball valve on the end. Works tops.

Nice pictures Berto. I'm in Ashfield. I think I'll have to take a trip out to the junkyard. Seems like what I'm looking for. Cheap and cheerful.

Stuart

Apparently 60 degrees is the optimum angle for a conical fermenter in the cone section.

On the topics of pots, I went with a 40 L aluminium pot with 4mm walls and lid. Good commercial quality for $80 bucks from a catering shop in Eastwood.

The problem with the cheaper SS pots is that the walls are insanely thin. Not a problem for boiling a liquid but if you want to cook something like soups etc then you will scorch on the bottom for sure.

Will

Kungy

How is the aluminium pot? I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an issue with taste with the aluminium? Have you found that to be the case? :(

Where in Eastwood did you get the pot?

Stuart

Stuster said:
Kungy

How is the aluminium pot? I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an issue with taste with the aluminium? Have you found that to be the case? :(

Where in Eastwood did you get the pot?

Stuart
[post="63338"][/post]​

There is no metallic taste from Aluminium. That is just another oft repeated fable.

Season the pot either by filling it with water and boiling for 10 minutes or [very carefully - and following all safety procedures] wipe the interior of the pot out with neat phosphoric acid and leave it for 5 minutes. Wash it out then with water and air dry.

Both methods will passivate the aluminium and the surface will go that wonderful dull grey that makes every brewer with aluminium happy.

The metal will oxidise within about 10 minutes of exposure to air and heat.

Steve

And you can remember that Chiller??

I know...some idiot had to post this :ph34r:

Batz :p

No problem with, i've even licked it with no taste at all. Passivating is a piece of cake.

I got it from A1 Restaurant and Club Supplies 237 Rowe St, Eastwood. Ph 9874 2803.

Its good quality with strong riveted handles. The thickness of the walls more than compensates for the softness of the aluminium. It will take a good knock to even dent it. Another plus with it as its aluminimum its not a problem with drilling the walls to attach a ball valve.

Will

There is an Middle Eastern shop in Auburn ,Sydney on Auburn road great range of large to huge ally pots .

be prepared to Barter if you want the adress and telephone number send me a email .

Pumpy

i occasionally drink beer from aluminium cans.i cook in aluminium pots.i work in the aluminium industry.
who is the idiot mentioned.
what was the question.
i forgot.

my system is all stainless steel.
do i have a problem. :blink:

cheers
big d

BIG BOILERS - I saw a a big aluminium pot at the morriset markets the other week for a tidy 270 bucks. Might sound dear but when I came home and did some rough calculations it would have held well over 300 litres. At least 600 in dia and hight and about 4mm thick with lid. I'm afraid I don't know what you'd boil it with. :unsure: Perhaps 3 or 4 NASA's.... or a ten ring burner.

cheers

Borret :blink:

Back