Bier De Garde (Amber)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris79

Reaction score
Hey All

I'm looking to brew a Bier De Garde (Amber) in the next few weeks. I'll be using my Wyeasy 3522 (that' be it's third use), and some French Aramis hops from Brewman - they smell/taste delicious, as I just used them in my Belgian Golden Ale (which I've just had a few of).

So I want to brew the Amber version of Bier De Garde. Attached you'll see my recipe made in Brewman's BrewBuilder. The feedback I'm after, is both the recipe as a whole, and what colour I should be targeting? I understand why Beersmith says it'll be about 8%, and BrewBuilder says it'll be about 7%. I'm not sure what BrewBuilder has the colour at 33 EBC and Beersmith has the colour at 15 EBC

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.00.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.00.38 PM.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 116
  • bierdegarde.pdf
    1.6 KB · Views: 86
Hi Chris,
Glad you liked the Aramis. I am using it in my Leffe Blonde clone next time round. It smells amazing.

The Brewbuilder looks correct to me on the colour. If I scan down the Malt bill, all those malts are adding those colours, and I'd expect an Amber, 33 EBC heading into the Red area, and 15 EBC is not Amber. That Special B will add a heap of colour and caramel flavour. Even the base, Dingeman's Pils, throws a fair bit of colour on the calculations and in my personal experience.

As far as the grist goes looks like a cracker.

I can't talk for Beersmith.

Cheers Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for that. So do you think this fits in the Amber category based in brewbuilder? Or is the total colour too dark for the style I’m after?

I did find even that Dingemans pils have quite a bit of colour to my pale ale.

Cheers

Back