Biblical brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I saw a link to this article ages ago, but it was paywalled. It's a scholarly look at references to beer in the Bible. (Second article on the linked page).

Ancient Israelites, with the possible exception of a few teetotaling Nazirites and their moms, proudly drank beer—and lots of it. Men, women and even children of all social classes drank it. Its consumption in ancient Israel was encouraged, sanctioned and intimately linked with their religion. Even Yahweh, according to the Hebrew Bible, consumed at least half a hin of beer (approximately 2 liters, or a six-pack) per day through the cultic ritual of libation, and he drank even more on the Sabbath (Numbers 28:7–10). People who were sad were advised to drink beer to temporarily erase their troubles (Proverbs 31:6). Yet the Biblical authors also called for moderation. Several passages condemn those who consumed too much beer (Isaiah 5:11, 28:7; Proverbs 20:1, 31:4). The absence of beer defines a melancholy situation, according to Isaiah 24:9.

I don't think there are any references in the New Testament (which are written in Roman-dominated times, and Romans greatly preferred wine) - though one recipe for a sprouted grain bread - ie, a type of bappir, the malted grain cakes the Sumerians used to get beer from - is given in one of the Essene gospels, delivered by none other than Christ. (Perhaps this indicates Christ was viewed in some quarters as a celebrity chef....)

TimT said:
(Perhaps this indicates Christ was viewed in some quarters as a celebrity chef....)

Host: So Jesus, it's good to have you back, now then... what have you got in store for us today?

Jesus: Well Barry, I thought I'd bring out an old favorite (waves hands over basket) ta!-dah! Fish and bread for everyone!

Host: Muttering to self - not this again, **** it, I knew he was gonna do that shit - Ha ha, OK, Jesus Christ, come on folks, lets give him a big hand (applause)

Would he have been a Coles man, or a woollies man? That's the real mystery of jebus

Please let's not get into Coles v Woolies, the world is only just getting over the whole Protestant v Catholic v Orthodox thing.

I believe he barracked for the Saints and used a Pope lawnmower. A man of doubtful carpentry skills but a Messianic genius. Swings and slides.

Back