BIAG brewing - use drop in type boiling system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I was just wondering - I want to get into BIAB- as a trial. I have a stainless steel fermenter.
I was wondering if I could do the boiling in the fermenter with a camp style boiler that your drop in.
I have an temp controller, so I could control the different temperatures....etc etc, Have a small fridge that it fits in so I could chill it down quite quick in the fridge. (is the chilling down time important). I dont think temp control would be an issue, as long as it got hot enough.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Last edited:
BIAB - admin can you change, wish we could edit titles....

maybe . depend on the quality of your fermenter I guess

but you would have all the trub from the boil still in there

I tired once to cool in my fridge once and it took forever. once the fridge gets warm it is insulated .its way quicker putting it in a cube and letting it sit overnight on the garage floor .is for me anyway

Ok thanks - Its a mangrove jacks SS - I think is good quality - what is the highest temp it might have to go to? My only concern would be the plastic tap housing, etc, but I might be able to change to other tap, need to check if interal part is metal or plastic.

I could transfer and remove the trub, cool in another vessel or cube. Is it ok if it takes a while - like over night? I was under the impression it had to be cooled quite quickly? thanks

Last edited:
well the mash will be no problem.But then you're basically boiling sugar for 60 mins . it gets damm hot. a bit over 100 .Id say anything plastic will be cactus ,unless it designed to take that kind of heat

I have to admit I'm not a camper. I don't know what a drop in camp boiler is

no chill is the alternative to cooling it . you just need a cube like you buy FWK's in ,or similar. its sealed in hot, so it's sterile and airtight . in winter it takes about 12 hours in my garage to get to pitching . summer more like 24

for all the messing around just buy a decent 50l pot with a tap and you are good to go.

Thank you, I did see 25 litre camping water containers, pretty cheap.. is that what you mean? Thanks

Ok thanks - cheers

Probably same thing,

Usage: Brewing,Camping, Water Storage and Chemical storage

but price looks ok here,

Admin, can you change the title or allow us to edit like we used to be able to.. thanks

Latest posts

Back