Biabiab?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
My alternate lifestyle mate tried some of my beer and he loved it.
He has an outdoor "firebath". An enamel bath cemented over a firepit, and he wants to do a brew in it!
He reckons it will get to and maintain a vigorous boil. He wants to do single vessel and no chill. I'm thinking BIAB (IAB). We can make a big tripod out of tree trunks for a skyhook. My question I guess is this: Is it OK to boil wort in an enamel "pot" (bath)? Could do a tasty smoked ale?
The other main problem I forsee is not being able to whirlpool due to the shape of the "boiler". I'm thinking siphoning the wort off may be the way to go?

I'm guesssing a 100 litre batch. Smoked ale?

Evaporation rate will be high with all that surface area. What sort of figure should I put into brewmate for evap. loss per hour?

If it happens, I will post the pics on here.

ITMechanic - when is the next L'ton bulk buy?

Not taking the piss here fellas - my mate is dead keen unless I can give him a reason it won't possibly work.

171Homervsthe18thAmendment.jpg

consider me subscribed.

That sounds badass, I don't if its a good idea or not but either way I wanna see it.

Had a feeling...
Ceramic, enameled and glass
Cookware made properly of enamel-coated iron and steel is safe to cook with, according to the FDAs Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Because of the high firing temperatures required, lead which could present a safety concern is not used in the enamel for this cookware. Some older enamel cookware contained the potentially toxic substance cadmium, which was sometimes contained in the red, yellow and orange pigments used to color the interior of enamel cookware. Cadmium was used mostly by foreign manufacturers. But manufacturers have discontinued its use, and consumers today are not in danger of cadmium poisoning from enamelware marketed today.

Some countries do not have strict lead and cadmium limits. If you bring in glazed ceramic cookware from abroad, be aware that it may not meet permitted levels for lead and cadmium.
http://eartheasy.com/blog/2009/01/healthy-cookware/
THe source is a bit blah but yeah possible lead poisoning. I'd do more research.

Could you line the bath with something ???

Evaporation rate will be high with all that surface area. What sort of figure should I put into brewmate for evap. loss per hour?

use some polystyrene to float on top to reduce surface area. use it to maintain mash temps too

it might be worth trying to whirlpool with a pump

Maybe try a stepped mash then he can enjoy a beer bath at the protein rest.

Maybe try a stepped mash then he can enjoy a beer bath at the protein rest.

Hahaha!

First question I used to get asked in my early days of brewing - "Did you make this in your bath?"

Sorry I have no practical advice, but looking forward to some photos

Back