Biab?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you don't "convert" it as such, you just need to decide whether you can sparge, whether that's via a dunk sparge in a separate vessel to your mash port or if you can slowly pour sparge water over the grain bed in the bag hoisted out of the container.. whatever suits your system.

My advice would be don't get hung up on it, just throw the grain in the bag at the strike temp, hoist it and see if you can squeeze as much out of the grains as possible, then later when you check what efficiency you got you can adjust to obtain better efficiency or you may find it OK. I personally "dunk sparge" in a second vessel so simply have sparge temp water ready, lift bag up and dunk into that, then open it up and give it a big stir for about 30mins, then combine all into your kettle.

Download Beersmith (30 day trial), and convert it using that. Brewmate is free, I'm not sure, but that might be able to convert it also.

Edit: Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, but I thought the OP was trying to convert from imperial to metric

Have you brewed any BIAB beers before? What are you using to brew in? You don;t really need to convert the recipe, just the measurements from imperial to metric.

Download brewmate (it's free) and plug all the ingredients in.

No need to alter any quantities for BIAB brewing. Brewmate is excellent software for most general brewing.

If you are doing a Mini Biab, for example a 12L batch, Brewmate will scale automatically, just use the Batch size slider.

I intend to probably get a 40l urn. Haven't yet decided. I do have a 25l boiler from bottom of a t500.

And I have not done any Biab or mash brewing which is why I probably feel so lost

Beersmith comes with default profiles for 40l urns. The IOS version is great and very reasonably priced .

I have to iOS version (full one) just not sure I'm using it right. Like I can't see where how much water I need and I don't know what else I'm probably missing as I've never done it before. I think my local shop has demo days so hopefully that will clear it up somewhat

Why don't you start with Dr smurtos golden ale. It is easy to do and great to drink. Then when you know your equipment a little better you can try this recipe. You won't be disappointed with the beer. If you are hell bent on making this one then I will convert it for you and post it here to get you past the confusion of it all.

edit: added recipe.
Here it is.
View attachment Bells Two Hearted IPA (converted for pugdog).bsmx

Thanks. I'll try both seems I'll have a couple of kegs. I just picked one from top 5 list was all and thought it would be a good place to start

Your preboil volume is the water volume you want (7 gallons converted to metric).

That is for single vessel, no sparge BIAB. If you were 3 V or doing dunk sparge or somesuch, that would be different with the aim to get 7 gallons in the kettle.

Are you doing no sparge BIAB?

lukiferj said:
Look up Bribie Gs guide to brewing in an urn. Very good start for me.
+1
Also have a good read through NickJs stovetop 20lt BIAB if you only have a 25lt pot as youll probably need to apply some of the principles if you are doing a full batch.

Back