Biab Wall Mounted Bag Hoist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iJosh

Reaction score
Since ceiling mounting isn't an option in my situation, I've been thinking of how to make a wall mounted hoist system for my eBIAB setup. I've considered various options such as shelf brackets and cantilevered beams, then just today I came across this contraption...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260884469462?ss...984.m1423.l2649

It's rated for 29kg (which should be enough) and I really like how it can be folded flush-ish to wall when not in use to keep it out of the way in my tight for space brewzone. I'd need to mod the business end of it to suit a pulley, but it shouldn't be too hard.

What do ya's think?

Josh.

Since ceiling mounting isn't an option in my situation, I've been thinking of how to make a wall mounted hoist system for my eBIAB setup. I've considered various options such as shelf brackets and cantilevered beams, then just today I came across this contraption...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260884469462?ss...984.m1423.l2649

It's rated for 29kg (which should be enough) and I really like how it can be folded flush-ish to wall when not in use to keep it out of the way in my tight for space brewzone. I'd need to mod the business end of it to suit a pulley, but it shouldn't be too hard.

What do ya's think?

Josh.

Have you got access to your man hole, maybe in the garage. I just pop the man hole cover off, slide my timber slat that has my pulley bolted to it & do it that way.

Have you got access to your man hole, maybe in the garage. I just pop the man hole cover off, slide my timber slat that has my pulley bolted to it & do it that way.

Thanks for the reply Crusty.

I brew in the garage and there's no manhole in there unfortunately. Ceiling mounting isn't an option since it's flimsy fibre cement sheets on flimsy steel battens connected to flimsy steel trusses <_<

That's why I'm keen on a wall mounted solution.

Hey iJosh,

I am in the process of making myself a stand for my BIAB, that has a removable frame with a pulley attached.
I will post some pictures up when I get it done.

Cheets

Hey iJosh,

I am in the process of making myself a stand for my BIAB, that has a removable frame with a pulley attached.
I will post some pictures up when I get it done.

Cheets

That'd be great!

Shit hot idea there Josh, working on something for the BM atm, I think you cracked it.

Cheers
batz

Shit hot idea there Josh, working on something for the BM atm, I think you cracked it.

Cheers
batz

Glad to help, batz! :icon_cheers:

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it. Someone has to be the guinea pig :unsure: ;)

Hi Kymba, rack-it wouldn't work in my case unfortunately

If it helps, we use this for the TV in the bedroom.

It would certainly support the weight of a bag of grain. Also the arm would extend far enough so as not to get dripping wort anywhere but the pot/urn whatever.

Clever idea

That's good to know Baulko! I've just bought it. And now the wait begins.... :)

The hoop idea is especially good, as in the arm can fold in towards the wall. However, I think the TV bracket idea is a neater solution. Good suggestions though!

Glad to help, batz! :icon_cheers:

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it. Someone has to be the guinea pig :unsure: ;)

Let me know what it looks like, I'm keen to just buy one as well.

Batz

I've got a boat winch on mine. I'll load a pic tomorrow too busy drinking tonight.

if you plan to use that make sure you are on a stud. I would recommend against using it as you will be jerking at it pulling up so I would double the weight the bag will be or more. say you have 10kg of grain it will absorb 1lt per kg water or close to it so thats 20kg then the water in the pot it has to lift out of and the jerking motion as its not mechanical driven I would want 40kg or more support but thats me and I am no mechanical engineer.

But like a deck say it can support say 500 people but put music on and they all start moving at once and the deck will fail as its not a dead weight it turns into a moving weight it is the same mass but its applying alot more force.

just something to consider

My batches are typically 5-6kg. I would use brute force except the position/height of my urn makes it tricky (think standing on a milk crate with arms extended horizontally...), I think 29kg should be ok in this situation. I'm also fixing it to a brick wall so the masonary anchors I plan to use should be overkill, wouldn't feel at all comfortable fixing it a timber frame! :)

Back