Biab Urn Element Cuts Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanteHicks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a cheap Chinese urn (eBay) that cuts out quite a lot. I timed it, it is on for 50 seconds then off for 17. This cycle just repeats.

The strange thing is, when I did it with water to test it out, it did not do it. Does anyone have any experience with the Handy Imports urns?

It looks like I will have to get another kettle, using this one for a HLT.

I have a batch on at the moment that calls for a 90 min boil. If I up this to 120 min, should it be OK? Last batch it would get to the boil, then die off when it cuts out, I wrapped some lagging around it hoping it will hold the boil through the 17 secs, but I am not too confident (waiting to get to the boil now).

I will keep you posted on how it goes once it reaches boil, but on the up side, not much chance of a boil-over :blink: .

it sounds like the thermal cut out is kicking, because wort boils hotter than water it is probably seeing this as overheating and turns off, there has been posts about re wiring the urn to take out the boil dry protection but unless you know what your doing I wouldn't recommend it, do you know a sparky at all?

cheers steve

it sounds like the thermal cut out is kicking, because wort boils hotter than water it is probably seeing this as overheating and turns off, there has been posts about re wiring the urn to take out the boil dry protection but unless you know what your doing I wouldn't recommend it, do you know a sparky at all?

cheers steve

Hi Steve,

I have read that the crowns do this, the strange thing is that it is doing it as low as 80 deg. There is a sparky at work, I may ask him if he will do a beer job.

Cheers,

Scott

Latest posts

Back