BIAB.....to....?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For brewers who have been making AG beer for over a year, if you began your AG brewing using BIAB, a

• Still using BIAB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brewing using 3 vessel

• Using a Brau or similar device

• Using a RIMS or HERMS system

• Using something else

• Total voters

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
Purely for interest...If you have begun with BIAB in AG, are you stll bagging, or have you moved on?

In the process of moving on...chilly bin mash tun build imminent!

Ghetto style bucket-in-bucket sort of thing with manual recirc. Just didn't like hauling up a big hot wet bag and waiting for it to drain, clean up was a bit messier too with BIAB.

I went from a 2v to a 2v mashing-in-bag-in-esky to full BIAB based on economic and time constraints and wish I'd done it sooner, if not straight away. I only get excited by HERMS now, and that is a shiny dream for a distant future.

hbnath said:
In the process of moving on...chilly bin mash tun build imminent!
I just rid thet in a kiwi eccent, AWESOME :D

I'm looking at a second vessel now for sparging, also toying with recirculation too. I don't see myself moving to a 3-4v anytime soon though. I'd rather spend my pocket money on grains etc and make plenty of liquid love.

I upsized my BIAB partial technique to full volume for one brew then went 3v for the very next brew.

BIAB, 30 odd batches, then to 3v purely for volume - It was a quad batch rig, bag would have been to heavy...

Then to the current [triple possible] but do double RIMS, purely out of the desire to build another rig.

purely out of the desire to build another rig - Thats what she said.

Just moved to a 3v Herms system from my 1.5v recirculating mash no bag lifting BIAB brew in a flat system now I live in a house. It takes up 3 times the space for no increase in volume and the beer hasn't got any better, but brew days are a doddle with the ability to hose the mashtun out on the lawn. Problem is I have no undercover space t brew in, so the last 2 brew days have been a washout, but I've spent a whole lot more money on a bunch more things that can go wrong!

Just moved from BIAB to apple juice for cider - how simple.

I often hear the complaint : "Oh mercy, lifting that hot wet bag - oh kill me now and put me out of my misery"

Shit they wouldn't make good refugees. HTFU

Put that on the poll and I'd vote for it.

(That's what she said.)

Started out with BIAB, can't see myself changing anytime soon.

Started full volume single batch BIAB, moved to double batch and larger kettle, added a herms, got rid of herms. Added a false bottom, then got rid of it also.

Now brewing with just the pot and bag

Was BIAB then Moved to 2v then 2v Herms now going to a 3v system as I seem to be getting less time to brew so the ability to knock out upto 2 double batches in a day is required.

Still using the old bag. Tried 2V modified BIAB, looked at recirculating ghetto 1V BIAB and still come back to the same simple process. Beer still tastes the same no matter ehat system I used.

Will look into a Brau as I want bigger batches but don't have room for 3V.

Started with BIAB using a 30ltr pot and a cray pot.
Now use Cocko's old 3V rig with an added HERMS setup for my bigger batches and have recently finished building a smaller batch system using a keg and the 30ltr pot with slits cut out of the bottom. This is to be able to make some crazy beers without brewing 80ltrs worth.

Started with BIAB, upscaled it at the way to a 100L batch. Finally went a large sized 3V with both HERMS and RIMS. Recently built a secondary system, a 1V for beers I only want 1 cube off.

Started with full-volume single batch BIAB, moved to double batch maxi-biab...

then full-volume double-batch, then triple batch with a sparge...

now working on a 3V with 100L mash tun, and aiming for 4V HERMS.

Would like to end up wtih a 100L BrauMeiser one day ;)

Full-volume BIAB's great. It was the weight/futzing about with 16KG grain bills which dun it.

Back