Biab step mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first began using the floor malted Bo Pils malt in my lagers, I did some searching as to whether it needed a full step mash or could just be used 'as normal' in a single infusion. As usual, opinions were split, with some saying it was under modified and needed a step mash and others saying the opposite.

I tried it both ways and that's when I ran into the aforementioned problems trying to do a step mash in the urn, gave up on that idea and cut the first two steps of 37 and 55 or whatever they were from the schedule and just did a 63/72/78 Hochkurz schedule. The full step mash batches turned out shit by comparison to the Hochkurz ones, however the steps weren't really done properly because of all the floury shit build up on the element cutting the heat in and out.

One day I might try it again but using boiling water to raise the temperature at least for the first 2-3 steps, but for now I'm more than happy with the results of the Hochkurz mashes. It seems to me that the full step mash is not necessary with that particular malt to make a decent beer. A proper decocted mash is another thing altogether and I may try it at some stage as well.

Sorry to bang on about the same question, but can anyone point me in the right direction r.e learning about what this rest/decoction does in terms of altering the finished beer?

In answer to your question, for the vast majority of beer styles and for beginner to intermediate brewers, a step mash will have virtually no detectable effect on the finished beer at the home brew scale.

In answer to your question, for the vast majority of beer styles and for beginner to intermediate brewers, a step mash will have virtually no detectable effect on the finished beer at the home brew scale.
You are a lot braver than me.
Mark

You are a lot braver than me.
Mark

Doing BIAB is very easy to make a step mash, it just takes longer and needs a little bit more care, but it's not that bad... I think I will continue doing that (multiple instead of single step) for every non-pale-ale beer I make. I feel like I'm removing one of the variables that can go wrong. If that makes any sense...

I've only brewed 5 times, I did the step mash 3 times. I think I have better efficiency when I do the step mash, but to be honest, the second single step one I made was the best of all the beers I've made so far (beginners luck, maybe). The first beer I made was single step, was ok, but the worst of all of them... jejeje

Thanks guys I appreciate the necessary v no difference point. I guess I just wanted to ensure I wasn't going to make the brew day longer or more complicated than it needs to be. I love the way biab and no chill have cut simplified all grain brewing.

Latest posts

Back