Biab Sky Hook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I just installed my sky hook this afternoon & wondering how you BIABer's are tying up your bag ready for the hoist.
I have a CraftBrewer bag with sewn in loops but if not using the loops, what knot are you using?
Any pointers on how to tie the knot?

I just installed my sky hook this afternoon & wondering how you BIABer's are tying up your bag ready for the hoist.
I have a CraftBrewer bag with sewn in loops but if not using the loops, what knot are you using?
Any pointers on how to tie the knot?

First I pull the drawstring on the bag and wrap that around the open (but now closed end if you get me) end of the bag, forming an noose sort of shape.
leaving 6 inches of the drawstring loose.
Then I have a seperate piece of rope thats looped at each end with about 6 inches in-between.
Tie that around the bag drawstring noose, so your not tying the rope to the bag as such, but to the drawstring noose which is sturdier.
do this around twice and then hold both loops up at and even height together and tie the leftover drawstring around these loops.

hoist and flick the burner on. crack a beer.

hope this makes sense without pics

I got a great idea.....

mash in the bag, in one of these things. works a treat!

images.jpg

not knot required!

also means you can keep the bag open and still sparge through it whilst it's hanging.

If you dont want to use on of these, i asked the same question a few months ago, and the most common answer was to use a hangmans noose.

Bribie has a "genuine recycled photo" somewhere, so don't be surprised if he chimes in with it soon.

I used a clip when doing BIAB with a hook. The rope was always held to the clip, and i semply popped the CB bag loops into it. Took but a second.

Big Nath,

Where did you get that stockpot basket?

I have been looking at conical strainers but that basket looks like it would hold the grain real well.

Cheers,

i pull the drawstring tight and then use the excess to choke the bag by wrapping it arround a few times, with just a half hitch or two to stop it unraveling, then take a few inches of bag and double it over, wrap the string around the end again a few more times with half hitches so a loop is formed by the bag material itself.

That loop made out of the bag material goes over the sky hook. Drawstring or seam never takes any weight at all, the main body of bag material provides all the strength.

Big Nath,

Where did you get that stockpot basket?

I have been looking at conical strainers but that basket looks like it would hold the grain real well.

Cheers,

It's a crabcooker insert. The vessel i use for my HLT or my Single Vessel Rirculating BIAB rig (see signature below) is a crabcooker. The insert comes with it when you buy it.

It's ideal for BIAB as it gives support for the bag, allows you the versatility to sparge through the open bag that would line the insert, and gives you a strong, quick lifting point instead of having to tie a knot.

the rig in my signature is a stainless pot with a smaller crabcooker insert from a 40lt pot, but last night i built another single vessel rig out of a 60lt aluminium crabcooker pot, and the insert this pot came with holds a considerably larger amount of grain than the one in my signature.

If you are just after the insert, try a fishing or a camping store. Crabcookers are slow moving products for them, and my local guy was only too happy to help by letting me buy just the insert out of one of his pots for $50 (half the price of the crabcooker complete set).

The new set crabcooker and insert i just purchased, i grabbed from a camping store for $145.

Doesn't hurt to ask them...

Bribie G informs me that the best knot is a hangman's noose.

Hangman's noose can be tied as follows, according to Bribie G who is currently suspended but is a fount of useful information, not always the best information but a fount nonetheless :lol::

hangmans_diagram.jpg

Thanks Nath,

I'll check out your set up. I recently bought a 70Lt SS pot. I was looking at the 60Lt pots with baskets at the time but went with the 70Lt.

Still putting my set up together so thanks for the info.

Thanks Nath,

I'll check out your set up. I recently bought a 70Lt SS pot. I was looking at the 60Lt pots with baskets at the time but went with the 70Lt.

Still putting my set up together so thanks for the info.

no wuckas mate

I keep mine simple. Swivel pulley attached to the skyhook.

6402218.JPG

A carabiner clip (thats attached to the rope) latches through the 8 hooks on the bag (Gryphon brewing BIAB bag)

8900238.jpg

And Bob's your cross dressing auntie.

Yeh keep it simple.

I use a double pulley on top and a single on the bottom. The simple snap hook above is perfect to grab all of the bag loops. The double pulley I added when I went to double batch. The draw srting I only use to make sure I don't spill grain into the sparge.
Fear

I just bought a 5-to-1 pulley to help with double batches, as I was finding it impossible to safely remove the grain by myself (my pot is around 1m+ above the ground, shoulders were copping a hiding. I'll be giving the pulley it's first go this Saturday.

For single batches, I have a good system. I have a big white plastic storage box that I got from SuperCheap Auto for a few dollars, I sit a washing basket that has holes in the bottom of it over the storage box, and lift the bag out - transfer it to the washing basket. The grain can then be spread out (whilst still in the bag), sparged and let to drain... very easy for the single batch!

I learn't the hangman's knot & got it sorted.
To keep the Landlord happy, I got a scrap piece of timber that fits across the manhole so no holes anywhere. I drilled a hole in the middle of the timber, installed a bolt with a hook on it, attached a Gal clip & it works really well. Brew days will be easier now.

20120705_122918.jpg

20120705_123008.jpg

I got a great idea.....

View attachment 55581

not knot required!

also means you can keep the bag open and still sparge through it whilst it's hanging.

If you dont want to use on of these, i asked the same question a few months ago, and the most common answer was to use a hangmans noose.

Bribie has a "genuine recycled photo" somewhere, so don't be surprised if he chimes in with it soon.

That is exactly how I do it.
bag inside that inner pot. lift the whole thing out. I take the SS rack out of the oven and put it over the pot, to be able to rest the inner pot on top to do a sparge. Works great

Always amazes me how much effort people put into getting the bag out. Those kilos must have greater mass spinning backwards and hanging upside down.

Here in the USA where we brew with gallons and pounds, I just pull the drawstring and lift the bag by the neck. I have a leftover tent pole and an odd hook out of my hardware drawer. Drilled a hole for the pole in the little table I brew on. Hang the drawstring on the hook and use a spring clamp to trap the string to the tent pole.

Only reason I do it this way is I save the step of hanging the bag over a bucket and adding the drippings to the kettle. I have done some wild grain bills for imperial IPAs and have never had any trouble lifting the bag.

I think people always have to try and improve things. I like BIAB because it is as simple as it can get. I think it is less involved then brewing with extract and steeping grains.

I find it's handy having it dripping over the kettle to get the last drops out while you heat to boil.
Pulley also means you dont drip wort everywhere and have both hands free to squeeze your bag.. if you're into that kinda thing.

I use a ladder leaning against the wall with a pulley tied to the top rung and a carabiner clip at the other end with bag loops passed onto it

I got a great idea.....

View attachment 55581

not knot required!

Nath, where'd you buy that from?! Does it fit the Crown urn ok?

Edit - Forget me, I read on - crab cooker eh?! cool. will check them out.

Cheers

Back