Biab recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grassy would more likely be from hops than malt. Sour is usually a sign of infection.

Anyway, this is the red ale recipe, other than changing the yeast from US-05 to 1469 a couple of years ago it has remained unchanged since I first brewed it back in 2013 some time.

25 litre batch size, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 86.6 %
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %
Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes*, 78C mash out.

20.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.0 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 8.3 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs
30g Cascade dry hop near end of ferment.
75 minute boil.

West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast
Ferment at 18C.

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Don't be fooled by the lowish ABV, it is very flavorful and a lovely session ale. The Caraaroma is most dominant but the hops are present enough to balance it nicely. The latest one which I kegged on Saturday also featured an addition of oak chips when I dry hopped it. Keen to see how that went. With the hops, I just leave the Cascade and Centennial additions the same (AA% varies), and adjust the Magnum to keep the IBUs around 35. Sometimes I just increase the FWH Cascade if the Magnum ends up only being like 3g or something stupidly small.

*This mash step is optional. I incorporate it as it's meant to assist with head retention, but you don't have to do it.

I recently brewed Rocker’s red ale and can 2nd that it’s an awesome brew , keg was done very quickly , I used US05 but keen to try again with 1469

How's this look guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-04 Editing oatmeal stout - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-04 Editing oatmeal stout - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 158
The only thing I'd do is change the colour rating on the Caraaroma. It's more around 180-190 lovibond. Beersmith had it too low as well and it threw out the colour rating of my red ale.

I hope you realise that there is no such beast as a BIAB recipe.
Any all grain recipe can be brewed on any system using a heap of different mash, lautering, wort separation systems. It will be up to you as a brewer to optimise your milling, efficiency and other processes to suit your system.
This should be good news, it opens up a lot of recipes for you to use.

For BIAB you would generally mill a lot finer than you would for say a recirculating system, do a couple of brews, keep good records so you can calculate your efficiency and you can make any AG recipe work for you.
Mark

How's this look guys?
Yeah, looks pretty good for a first run at a sessionable stout. How do you like your stouts? Dry/thin, sweet/thick, coffee, chocolate, bitter? There's a few tweaks you could make to get the right outcome..

Mark makes a good point actually. I had a different experience with the mill settings though, coarser worked better for me than finer, so I've stuck with it.

Thanks for the input everyone, all helps make better beer.
I understand i can make all recipes work for biab, i was just looking for tried and true ones as these will be my first few brews.
When i have a greater understanding of grains to use, i will invest in a mill and do my own grinds and that way i can bulk purchase more.
At the moment iam stuck with online only orders so i get the grind i get.
I will figure out all my efficiencies and losses soon and build up my brewing profile.

Enjoying the journey of learing and slowly upgrading.

I'm a bit lucky, my local (Brewman) lets you choose your grind, anywhere from very fine to very coarse, there are also a couple of hundred well tested recipes in BrewBuilder, I can even set up my batch size and efficiency and it will auto calculate all the malt and hops - worth having a look at.
At present you can get 20kg delivered to your door for about $21.00, 3-4 grain bills with hops landed, all packed in barrier bags.... Sounding like an ad, but I think its about the best service in Oz.
Mark

I'm pretty new to BIAB brewing, but I came up with this IPA recipe to both experiment with a specific hop character and as the first trial on my temperature controlled fermenting fridge and it came out nicely. Having not tried Munich malt before I felt that it added depth to the malt profile while not taking away from the big pineappley Riwaka flavours. If anything I would have liked to up the dry hop a little but was all I had on hand...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/577221/riwaka-ipa

As MHB said above I think the only real difference between most AG and BIAB recipes is in the fineness of the grind and that I usually add 1% of acid malt to my bill to bring the Ph down

BF is fine, just be aware that it doesn't care about your mash temps when calculating gravities.
Just quoting myself because I have told a massive lie - BrewersFriend does take mash temp into account, the reason it never worked for me is because I was entering the times back to front! What a goose, anyway, I just needed to clarify as I just discovered my mistake!

I'm pretty new to BIAB brewing, but I came up with this IPA recipe to both experiment with a specific hop character and as the first trial on my temperature controlled fermenting fridge and it came out nicely. Having not tried Munich malt before I felt that it added depth to the malt profile while not taking away from the big pineappley Riwaka flavours. If anything I would have liked to up the dry hop a little but was all I had on hand...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/577221/riwaka-ipa

As MHB said above I think the only real difference between most AG and BIAB recipes is in the fineness of the grind and that I usually add 1% of acid malt to my bill to bring the Ph down
Acid malt is very useful!
Worth knowing that 1% of grist lowers the pH by 0.1points of pH.
Generally additions up to 5% of grist are no problem, that's enough to lower your pH from 6 to 5.5, or 5.8 to 5.3...
If your water has enough carbonate to put you outside your target pH range I would look at using some acid (lactic by preference).
Not related to BIAB V other methods, for any method optimising pH is just good brewing practice.
Mark

Thought i would give an update on the stout as i just kegged it. Og 1.055.
Fg 1.018.
24 liters into the fermenter.
Spent 7 days at 17'c
5 at 20'c
Over the next 4 days was brought down and held at 1'c.
Tasted fine and surprised me with a fair bis of fizz in it.
Will carb at 6psi for a week then let you know the verdict.
Cheers.

Update, stout is so so, put a bit of lemonade in it and its good.
But just wanted to let you know Rocker1986 that i just had the first glass of the Red and its a big thums up, very balanced and easy to drink, thanks for all the help from everyone.

You'll probably find the stout improves with more time, it is a style that generally gets a lot better with long term ageing. I just brewed a big one yesterday using a reiterated mash, nearly 9kg grain for an OG of 1.0855 in 21-22 litres. It will go into the fermenter soon and be kegged away until next winter.
Thanks for the comments on the red ale too mate, glad to hear it turned out well!

Grassy would more likely be from hops than malt. Sour is usually a sign of infection.

Anyway, this is the red ale recipe, other than changing the yeast from US-05 to 1469 a couple of years ago it has remained unchanged since I first brewed it back in 2013 some time.

25 litre batch size, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 86.6 %
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %
Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes*, 78C mash out.

20.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.0 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 8.3 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs
30g Cascade dry hop near end of ferment.
75 minute boil.

West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast
Ferment at 18C.

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Don't be fooled by the lowish ABV, it is very flavorful and a lovely session ale. The Caraaroma is most dominant but the hops are present enough to balance it nicely. The latest one which I kegged on Saturday also featured an addition of oak chips when I dry hopped it. Keen to see how that went. With the hops, I just leave the Cascade and Centennial additions the same (AA% varies), and adjust the Magnum to keep the IBUs around 35. Sometimes I just increase the FWH Cascade if the Magnum ends up only being like 3g or something stupidly small.

*This mash step is optional. I incorporate it as it's meant to assist with head retention, but you don't have to do it.

This is a great recipe. I just brewed this with Voss Kveik and it turned out really well. I'm sure it would be better with the West Yorkshire yeast but I'm happy with it (and it fermented out in 3 days).

Latest posts

Back