Biab Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
Any one got a really good stove top biab recipe they recomend i try? im using a 19l pot but would like to do a 20l batch.

biab is just another method of brewing all-grain beer, therefore any recipe you can find can theoretically be used - you will obviously just need to tweak it to suit your equipment.

Not sure about brewing out a 19l pot as I've never used such a small vessel but im sure if you read through NickJD's thread on the topic you'll find at least one recipe in there to begin with: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=44264 (Oh look, there's a recipe on the first post!)

biab is just another method of brewing all-grain beer, therefore any recipe you can find can theoretically be used - you will obviously just need to tweak it to suit your equipment.

Not sure about brewing out a 19l pot as I've never used such a small vessel but im sure if you read through NickJD's thread on the topic you'll find at least one recipe in there to begin with: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=44264 (Oh look, there's a recipe on the first post!)

not a huge fan of aussie mega swill type beers

Maybe list the styles you like as although we can brew beer the reading of ones mind may only occur.after many a drink.

Doc Smurtos Golden Ale is a winner and in the pages of nicks guide I am sure there is a recipe.

Craigo... Nick's tutorial thread is to show the process... just pick another recipe from the RecipeDB (or anywhere really) and sub in the grains/hops for what Nick used. Recipe's don't change for BIAB... it's just a different process to get the same/similar result

Maybe list the styles you like as although we can brew beer the reading of ones mind may only occur.after many a drink.

Doc Smurtos Golden Ale is a winner and in the pages of nicks guide I am sure there is a recipe.

i wouldnt mind trying thisanyone have suggestions on quanities and times for the hops?malts

Maris Otter, Crystal 40, Crystal 120, Crystal 180 Hops: East Kent Goldings Yeast: London ESB

A traditional English Bitter that has strong Nutty, Caramel and Toffee flavour from the speciality malts used. With all the malt sweetness a firm Hop bitterness is present to create balance in this brew.

What kind of beer? I've got about a hundred recipes for the 19L pot.

@craigo - get hold of brewmate (it's free www.brewmate.net).

Find a recipe that is in line with your tastes (recipedb is fantastic for this, or ask a respected AHB member whose beers you've tried).

Punch it in, ensuring that the quantity in the recipe equals the quantity on brewmate.

Then adjust the batch size to your system (I assume 12L, though I used to BIAB 25L on the stove in two pots). It will scale the recipe.

As others have said - BIAB is the ability to use slightly different equipment with a slightly different methodology to achieve similar results as a full-sized system (for less cost). Recipes aren't "made" for BIAB - just the brewing method adapted.

The idea is to extract sugary, malt-water from mashing the grain, boil said sugary malt water, and add hops in for bitterness at the appropriate interval. Then to pitch yeast at the correct temp. You do this properly (and assuming you sanitise and avoid infection), you make beer.

So a theoretical recipe of : 2kg of Pale Malt, 250g of Heritage Crystal, 100g of Caraaroma and 25g of CarafaIII, will produce the malt base for a 12L Irish Red (at 70% efficiency). You might choose to put 35g of EKG at 60 minutes boil, and Windsor yeast pitched at 22 degrees for a ferment temp of 19 degrees.

I could brew this on a RIMS, HERMS, Ghetto 3V, Braumeister, BIAB in an urn or on the stove. So long as I hit the numbers, what equipment I use isn't particularly relevant to the beer I wish to produce - as the beer produced will be basically the same, all other things being equal.

Get your process sorted and down pat, and know your system in detail.

Here's a nice one.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 17.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.950
Total Hops (g): 35.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.075 (P): 18.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.77 %
Colour (SRM): 24.8 (EBC): 48.9
Bitterness (IBU): 17.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner (80.81%)
0.350 kg Dextrose (7.07%)
0.250 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (5.05%)
0.150 kg Special-B (3.03%)
0.100 kg Caraaroma (2.02%)
0.100 kg Caramunich III (2.02%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.1 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity

Back