BIAB Parti gyle / Dunk sparge technique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

troopa

Reaction score
Hi Has anyone tried this?

I have 2 pots 60L and 90L, both 2.4kw electric (only use the 90L these days for easy BIAB doubles)

Thinking of increasing the grain bill by about a 50% (Around 15kg) and using the 60L pot to do a full volume dunk sparge at mashout temps to extract as much of the sugars as possible.

By my accounts I should have one batch at 1.070ish with efficiency losses and the other around 1.020ish.

Blend the 2 together and hopefully hit something around 1.045-1.050?

My reason for doing this would be to save time on my standard house brew as life gets tighter to brew these days.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Troopa

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
That'll be a bloody heavy BIAB bag at full saturation, you got a winch? Or spinach?

troopa

Reaction score
Both.. when i set the winch back up.

Currently lift 10kg grain bills by hand without issues. Done up to 12.5kg but it wasnt fun

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Seriously, mate. If you're time-poor, just stick with doing standard BIAB batches. All you're really going to get out of a dunk-sparged 1020 wort is starter-material.

Parti-gyle brewing is best done when you've got the time & equipment to do it properly.

GABBA110360

Reaction score
Hi Has anyone tried this?

I have 2 pots 60L and 90L, both 2.4kw electric (only use the 90L these days for easy BIAB doubles)

Thinking of increasing the grain bill by about a 50% (Around 15kg) and using the 60L pot to do a full volume dunk sparge at mashout temps to extract as much of the sugars as possible.

By my accounts I should have one batch at 1.070ish with efficiency losses and the other around 1.020ish.

Blend the 2 together and hopefully hit something around 1.045-1.050?

My reason for doing this would be to save time on my standard house brew as life gets tighter to brew these days.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Troopa
I can't see why you cant do
i'm about to do a RIS of about 37 l but with a 100l pot biab i'm going to to do two mashes and mix with a 4 hour boil 19.5 kg grain