Biab..... Low Og's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychill

Reaction score
Just finding out some of the possible causes of low OG with BIAB as I have had some low OG's since switching the bags I use for BIAB. I used to use a nylon bag but since switching to 2 smaller bags made of that cheesecloth stuff.... ahhhh can't remember the name right now, oh yeah muslin or something. Yeah anyway after switching to 2 muslin cloth bags that my mother inlaw made for me my Og's have been too low and my beer has tasted watered down and boring. I gotta tell you switching to allgrain and BIAB and with all the troubles I originally had with my kegerator, CO2 and kegs originally I really qonder if its ll been worth it. Kit and kilo into bottles was problem free, easy and tasted great.
Thnks guys

I think you answered your own question..

you changed your gear, and now there is a problem... What should you do?

seems like a no-brainer to me??

muslin will hold a lot of the goodies inside,

you need to either squeeze the beejesus out of it,

or go back to nylon bags.

As D.J. said, you answered your own question.

If you enjoyed the taste of your kit and kilos... why did you bother with all grain?

Sounds like you've already invested a lot of $$ to brew, spend the extra $25 a get a bag made for the job (check sponsors).

Question pretty much answered, Muslin is a natural fibre and will abbsorb liquid and sugars.
Go back to the nylon and you'll find your OG will be back up where you want it.
Nige

The common advice for bag size is that the bag should be big enough to put your pot INSIDE the bag, the grain needs to be able to move around freely.

By using two bags you are constricting the grain.

The common advice for bag size is that the bag should be big enough to put your pot INSIDE the bag, the grain needs to be able to move around freely.

By using two bags you are constricting the grain.

Thanks guys, nice one about constricting the grain also. My old nylon one was sorta small but could hold all the grains, man I'm gonna need a big one to fit my 40Litre pot.

Thanks guys, nice one about constricting the grain also. My old nylon one was sorta small but could hold all the grains, man I'm gonna need a big one to fit my 40Litre pot.

I know the Gryphon ones used to cover a 40L pot easy, I assume the Craftbrewer ones would be bit enough too.

The bag at the front of this pic is the Gryphon one in my 140L pot
07022011280.jpg

edit:
Just checked craftbrewer
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4221

Tapered shape for easy lifting & draining. 485mm diameter top,
350 mm diameter round flat bottom & 700mm deep/long.

def big enough for the 40L pot

Back