BIAB - Lost the bag in the pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopa

Reaction score
Maiden voyage with my 90L pot and a Large bag from KK and just as im finishing off mashing in a 10.75kg grain bill I lose the the bag in the pot :(
Ive noticed some grain has floated over into the liquor but not a great deal.

Any thoughts about continuing or should i drain it to my second pot and try and get the grains out of the liquor?

This just wouldn't of happened with my old 60L pot.. this is probably why the 90L has been sitting doing nothing for 12 months. I don't like changes in the brew process :D

Ta manticle.
I have about 20mins left of mash. When i pull the bag ill take a looksee and attempt to get as much out as possible

Im happy with the way its holding temp though. Only lost about 1 degree over 40 odd mins.
At least one thing is working in my favour today.

Ive noticed that the bag has stretched and sitting nice now, so at least with the next brew this afternoon it should be better.
My last bag was nearly 20 double brews in before it got retired. Maybe thats why it sat nice in the old pot.

I really should take Bribies advise and just go with a sheet of voile and negate the whole begging SWMBO to make me a custom bag to suit the new pot.

Go the sheet :beerbang:

HOWEVER ... I've also lost a bit of grain in the past when I've missed a fold - you need to develop a little ritual of starting at twelve o'clock and working meticulously and gently around one fold at a time, till you get back to the start, making sure you haven't missed a fold, then grab the whole top and check that you have it all in place before you slip the noose over and tighten. Another thing, don't tug on the folds as you gather them up because you can end up with an uncollected fold slipping back into the pot and before you can retrieve it some mash can spill out.

Hasn't happened to me for a couple of years but it's just a refinement you need to be aware of. Gently gently.

Latest posts

Back