Biab:getting The Wort Out Of A Hanging Bag.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
hello all.

this may be of some help to some and to others ,well you may well be beyond this.

after many brews, squeezing, spinning, waiting and swearing at a bag full of wort to empty i have finally worked out how to get it pouring.

reach up to where the bag is getting skinny, hold it with your hand and wobble the hell outa it. emptys in seconds

anyhow......thats all.

hello all.

this may be of some help to some and to others ,well you may well be beyond this.

after many brews, squeezing, spinning, waiting and swearing at a bag full of wort to empty i have finally worked out how to get it pouring.

reach up to where the bag is getting skinny, hold it with your hand and wobble the hell outa it. emptys in seconds

anyhow......thats all.

LOL I was expecting a big discussion and hoping for some pics if it was technical :D
I appreciate you sharing mate I'll give this a go next time for sure :chug:

if the wort is pooling above the grain, you have a really bad crush, or am I missing something?

When I did BIAB, I used about 5 or so litres less water during the mash. I had an old steel fridge shelp I would put the spent grains on to further drain into the kettle. Then I would use 5L of sparge water to further rinse the leftover grains. The grains in the bag would finish draining whilst I was bringing wort to boil.

It's good to hear some other techniques.

You can also just poke it with your mash paddle a bit to get it wobbling and a bit of "wave" action in the liquid. An example of cross flow filtration if you tilt your head sideways and squint a little.

However - the fact that you need to do it at all suggests to me that you are either brewing with a shitton of wheat/rye, crushing the grain to absolute powder, that your bag isn't made of the right stuff - or a combination of the above.

All the "free" liquid should drain from the bag in seconds... if its pooling above the grain and not just falling through the material, something isn't working right.

But you've solved your issue anyway, excellent and thanks for sharing.

TB

All the "free" liquid should drain from the bag in seconds...
TB

Those seconds seem like hours when your holding a hot wet heavy bag up at head height and 1/2 a metre out from your body... :)

Harden up Truman......jeez your giving us a bad name. :p

if the wort is pooling above the grain, you have a really bad crush, or am I missing something?

Using the bag purchased from craft brewer and grain crushed by craft brewer (default crush, didn't ask for anything special) I get wort pooling above the grain in the bag while I am lifting it. However it all drains out in a predictable fashion starting with a fast drain and finishing with drips some times later.

I also find that twisting the bag can give it an all-over squeeze. If you have the bag hanging just twist it around until it's nice and tight and wort will come out again. Probably easier than squeezing it the normal way and probably less likely to let crap come out of the grain.

Those seconds seem like hours when your holding a hot wet heavy bag up at head height and 1/2 a metre out from your body... :)

i mean not much more than a couple, 1 or 2 seconds if its there at all. i'm not talking about how long liquid takes to drain from the wet grain, i'm talking about free, just liquid sloshing about, thats trapped in the bag. Basically it shouldn't be and if it is, something isn't right.

i mean not much more than a couple, 1 or 2 seconds if its there at all. i'm not talking about how long liquid takes to drain from the wet grain, i'm talking about free, just liquid sloshing about, thats trapped in the bag. Basically it shouldn't be and if it is, something isn't right.
I know there is one of these around the farm
b3c41b2df6ef8cbcf6bf345c0990d6c4.jpg

My aunt Norma got her left tit caught in one of those.

I just use good ol Isaac Newton's invention for getting the wort out.

Back