BIAB Excessive Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,399
I'll try that next time for my left overs out of the kettle.

It was either Dr. Smurto orThirsty Boy who strains their left overs through a kitchen towel to get wort for starters.


Hey: bonus:

reducetrub 0.jpg
 

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Joined
27/9/08
Messages
25,707
Reaction score
6,125
Location
Glenorchy, TAS
I let mine settle overnight, decant and reboil for starter like bribie.
If there's surplus, I have a bitsa/mongrel fermenter I use for a bitsa/mongrel keg.
 

stm

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/10/07
Messages
360
Reaction score
76
Location
Sydney
Bribie G said:
As posted in an earlier thread, anyone doing BIAB and experiencing unacceptable loss to trub doesn't need to invest in extra time, work and equipment. It's all in the process.
This. Don't overcomplicate it. It's really simple to resist the urge to stir during mash and mashout, and to do a gentle bag-pull, and the results are very good.
 

RdeVjun

Well-Known Member
Joined
19/1/09
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
172
OT: Bugger me, I'm getting a swimming pool like Bribie's, if it has a $10 note in it at each boil end then that's a bonus, not to mention the hops debris containment.
 

hdawson

Member
Joined
27/11/16
Messages
16
Reaction score
3
"I am compensating for the losses by adding extra water/grain/hops to get what i need. I was after a way i could limit this as it is extra cost but hey i brew hoppy beers so no matter what Its gonna be pricey. Its my hobby so money isn't everything."

Too right!

Hi all.
I have got used to the wasted wort involved in BIAB , as I decided long ago that grain is pretty cheap.
But it still goes against the grain (no pun) that around 3L gets dumped onto the garden.
You are never to old to learn, however, and the tip to use a laundry bag to retain the bulk of the hop detritus certainly is obvious/genius.
Cheers Bribie.g.
That's why I love this forum.
 

hdawson

Member
Joined
27/11/16
Messages
16
Reaction score
3
Just re read this post.
Very interesting. What about guys who just pitch everything into the fermenter with gay abandon?
Then rack into a secondary or maybe not at all !
I'm sure we have all tasted these beers but maybe it was back in the 80's when our standards were not so high.
Just saying.......
 

GABBA110360

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/5/13
Messages
365
Reaction score
89
Location
YAMBA NSW
20170104_090707.jpg 20170104_091201_LI.jpg 20170104_094230.jpg 20170104_091432.jpg
Bribie G said:
I'll try that next time for my left overs out of the kettle.

It was either Dr. Smurto orThirsty Boy who strains their left overs through a kitchen towel to get wort for starters.


Hey: bonus:

attachicon.gif
reducetrub 0.jpg
i had a go at straining the dregs from yesterdays batch
it worked well as you can see
 

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Joined
16/8/08
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
42
Bribie G said:
I poured all this into a jug half an hour ago, leaving the following in the urn. Note the ring of trub that sticks above the wort and actually gets marooned there during the boil as the wort level drops. In addition I do a final "foam up" of the wort and much of the break ends up attached to the lid of the urn and the sides, thus removing a further amount of trub.

attachicon.gif
reducetrub 8.jpg

Contents of jug after 30 mins settling.

attachicon.gif
reducetrub 9.jpg

Total loss to trub around 700ml - but on further settling I'm quite confident that I'll only lose 600. The clear wort will be reboiled, diluted and used for my starter for this brew - will crack out the stir plate later.

And here's the contents of the hop "swimming pool". Pretty well leached out.

attachicon.gif
reducetrub 99.jpg

So, 500 - 700 ml trub loss, not two or three litres.

As posted in an earlier thread, anyone doing BIAB and experiencing unacceptable loss to trub doesn't need to invest in extra time, work and equipment. It's all in the process.
ive never even thought about recovering trub for a starter. i might give it a go on my next brew and see how it goes. even if its only half a litre thats still less dme ive gotta use
 

fdsaasdf

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/1/14
Messages
927
Reaction score
217
hdawson said:
Very interesting. What about guys who just pitch everything into the fermenter with gay abandon?
Then rack into a secondary or maybe not at all !
I'm sure we have all tasted these beers but maybe it was back in the 80's when our standards were not so high.
Just saying.......
I know of award-winning beers made by BIAB no-chillers who tip everything from the kettle into the cube and then into the fermenter, with no secondary or finings.

Personally I make mostly hop-forward beers and don't care that much about avoiding trub, just cold crashing for at least a few days seems to produce clear beers.
 

Matplat

Well-Known Member
Joined
15/1/15
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
450
Just for comparison, this is last nights trub that I bottled for starters, out of my 1v / malt pipe, its a 2l juice bottle, so maybe 250ml of trub?

1483834978044.jpg
 

lost at sea

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/1/15
Messages
244
Reaction score
147
Location
Newcastle
just to (hopefully) contribute something helpful to the slow hoist team, when looking for a decent pulley setup for my BIAB i was hoping to rig something with a mech advantage of 3 or 4, but the cost of doubles is pretty steep, so i had my one lightbulb moment for 2017 and found on fleabay a boat trailer winch for $30 delivered which i mounted to the wall of my garage (i brew in the same spot every time)
the winch is geared so you can hoist it one click at a time if you wish with barely an ounce of effort required. can also lower in reverse gear as well....

here it is in action defying laws of gravity in my garage for some reason...

IMG_5086.JPG
IMG_5099.jpg
 

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Joined
9/6/08
Messages
19,838
Reaction score
4,399
Designed by God specifically for BIAB.

Could you post a link, and maybe also to the "pinned" thread guide re BIAB in electric urn?
 

gezzanet

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/8/14
Messages
233
Reaction score
82
Been trying the slow haul and no mash stirring but still maybe a bit too fast as I end up with about 4 l in the keggle after 25 l wort in fermenter.
No biggie as I let it settle in a 5 l jar and decant for starters ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485737729.500744.jpg ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485737890.786427.jpg
 

lost at sea

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/1/15
Messages
244
Reaction score
147
Location
Newcastle
Bribie G said:
Designed by God specifically for BIAB.

Could you post a link, and maybe also to the "pinned" thread guide re BIAB in electric urn?
no probs, just gotta wait for baby to go the f*** to sleep ha
 

fdsaasdf

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/1/14
Messages
927
Reaction score
217
lost at sea said:
just to (hopefully) contribute something helpful to the slow hoist team, when looking for a decent pulley setup for my BIAB i was hoping to rig something with a mech advantage of 3 or 4, but the cost of doubles is pretty steep, so i had my one lightbulb moment for 2017 and found on fleabay a boat trailer winch for $30 delivered which i mounted to the wall of my garage (i brew in the same spot every time)
the winch is geared so you can hoist it one click at a time if you wish with barely an ounce of effort required. can also lower in reverse gear as well....

here it is in action defying laws of gravity in my garage for some reason...

attachicon.gif
IMG_5086.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5099.jpg
That looks great, I've just purchased the same hoist for my 56L malt pipe to be mounted on a pine stand over my brew bench.

Have you looped your cable over a bolt or hook? Or do you have a pulley directly above the bag?
 

Moog

BIAB-ER
Joined
20/11/13
Messages
133
Reaction score
31
you wasted money on that winch...... you could've just linked it up to you're garage door motor :D (joking)
 

fdsaasdf

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/1/14
Messages
927
Reaction score
217
Moog said:
you wasted money on that winch...... you could've just linked it up to you're garage door motor :D (joking)
I can just imagine the wife coming home early, opening the garage door and lifting my basket out before the mash is done!
 

lost at sea

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/1/15
Messages
244
Reaction score
147
Location
Newcastle
fdsaasdf said:
That looks great, I've just purchased the same hoist for my 56L malt pipe to be mounted on a pine stand over my brew bench.

Have you looped your cable over a bolt or hook? Or do you have a pulley directly above the bag?
sorry for the late reply, been away camping, i just drilled and screwed a ringbolt i had lying around into the floor joist above, and then attached a spare bow shackle to that. too lazy to go buy an expensive open pulley, the wire is moving less than 1 meter so i figure no need for fancy pulley,

Moog said:
you wasted money on that winch...... you could've just linked it up to you're garage door motor :D (joking)
ha you sir, are a bloody genius!
 

Latest posts

Top