Biab Demo At Grain & Grape

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
Not really an AHB meeting, but its not really a retailer post... wasn't sure where to put it, so its going here. Sorry if I got it wrong.

A few people have noticed already, but I thought I'd announce it a little anyway. Spillsmostofit and I are going to be the perpetrators of one of the upcoming Demos at G&G.

We will be doing an All Grain brew via BIAB (Brew in a Bag), which for those of you who don't know, is an AG method that was kind of developed by brewers here on the AHB board.

The underlying concept of BIAB is to be able to step up to AG without encountering (as severely) three of the things that commonly stop people from taking the leap.

Cost - BIAB is a very cheap way to go AG

Complexity -The methods/techniques used in BIAB are very simple, straight forward & unintimidating

Space - If your space is limited. BIAB uses less bulky equipment than the other AG methods.

Now there are plenty of methods of brewing; and BIAB is just one of them. All of them have their good and bad points. So come along to the demo and you can see for yourself what this particular method has to offer. Maybe it will ring the bell for you and you will be motivated to make the AG leap :)

For those of you who are already doing AG but haven't seen a BIAB batch being brewed, then this might answer a question or two (or maybe confirm a suspicion or two) There will also be ample opportunity to throw stuff if you should so desire :p

To keep the theme of unconventional brewing going, we will also be No-Chilling the brew and it will most probably be boiled using electric immersion elements.

We will, as advertised "break all the rules" and yet we will still manage to produce some nice beer at the other end.

So come along on the 22nd, otherwise I will feel rejected and unloved.

Cheers and many fine beers

Thirsty

Edited for grammar because Spills has OCD :rolleyes:

I noticed this in the newsletter.
I was wondering who would be demonstrating it and if they were on this site.
Production of nice beer is what it's all about.

Thirsty,

Thats a shit day to do it

Prelim finals is on otherwise i would have come along.

rook

Guy's
Will you have samples from previous brews to taste?
I really want to try (drink) a bag beer as it has created so much typing and here.

What style suits this method best and what wort are you looking at putting in cubes?

- Luke

hmmm may have to take a trip to G&G to have a look.

by the way how do you get on the newsletter mailinglist? I cant find it anywhere on the site.

In spite of what the newsletter might suggest, Thirsty Boy and I don't have any sort of relationship with G&G apart from being happy customers... :D Having said that, you'll find the newsletter subscription dingus here -> http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/brew_info.htm They're BrewShop owners, not HTML-jockeys.

In regard to what styles (if any) BIAB suits better than others, I can only say for sure that the majority of the beers I've made have been Australian or American style pale ales. I've dicked around with Koelsch and a couple of Belgian styles, porters, stouts, wheaties and a pilsner. I think I can trace all the faults in them down to my own ham-fisted mistakes, rather than the technique per se.

Apart from making the diary entry and coming up with the theme, we haven't sat down to do any planning for the day at all yet, so can't say much more.

I can say that there will be a big bucket of rotting fruit on hand for the pleasure of the assembled audience... :D

I can say that there will be a big bucket of rotting fruit on hand for the pleasure of the assembled audience... :D

:lol: now that is funny :lol:

chuck on a sausage sizzle so they're mouths are full and cant jeer and wave their pitch forks in the air. Oh and make sure there arent any big piles of wood/kindling lying around with boxes of matches next to it....they may get a bit restless

Guy's
Will you have samples from previous brews to taste?
I really want to try (drink) a bag beer as it has created so much typing and here.

What style suits this method best and what wort are you looking at putting in cubes?

- Luke

We're gonna try to bring some in. It isn't going to be quite a keg of a previous brew on tap or anything, but between us we can probably bring in a few bottles of a few different styles. We'll do our best.

Thirsty

Back