Biab; Consecutive Batches?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I have been using the BIAB method for a few months now using a 40lt Concealed Element Crown Urn.
As summer is on it's way I would like to some idea's on the best way to do consecutive batches in a brew day.

I have contemplated going to a 3V Herms System but I am not really up for that cost at the moment, and I enjoy BIAB - but definitely 3V some time in the future.

I see that some people use a cylindrical esky to mash in, is this the best way to go? Or should I just purchase another urn?
If I purchased a large (60-90lt) stainless steel pot and fitted some elements into it, I could use it as a kettle if I upgrade to 3V?

This will probably leave me with having 3 vessels, but I need to brew more with less time. Also I no chill in cubes.

Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers,

Ben

If finances and power supply are ok, another urn is a good way to go.

Or you could buy an esky for your mash tun and just extend that first mash whilst you Biab a second batch in the urn. Then once the urn is empty, boil the runnings from the first batch that was mashed in the esky.

BribieG has some ideas on how best to brew dual biab.

I only use a single vessel for BIAB and can get thru 2 brews in a day without many issues, even in winter (although it can be cold and dark during clean up !!)

The only way I have found to do this easily in Winter is to no chill. In summer, as long as you have a good wort chiller, you should still be able to bang out a double batch, but no chill is still your friend ;)

You just need to have everything well prepped.

I use a single coverted keggle, with a 23 jet mongolian. On a double brew day, I sometimes put a large 14L stock pot on to boil when I start the boil on my first batch. Using this with cold water from the filter gets me close to my strike temp for the second batch and I just adjust as needed with the burner if I am a bit shy of the right temp.

Duck

Have a look on my website under Homebrew/MyGear/BIAB Rig. I did run a dual BIAB setup for quite a while. I went dual rather than upsizing thinking it would give me the flexibility to brew 2 different beer. While brewing 2 different beers is great, as per yourself, I no-chill. So even if I brew 2 beers the same, I don't have to ferment them at the same time. While I could do dual brews after a while I got sick of it, and preferred to just do a double sized brew in a large pot. A few times I even did a double and a single simultaneously on my dual BIAB rig. I went on from brewing a double in a 82L keg, eventually pushing the limits further and ran a 100L BIAB batch in my 140L pot (which I purchased as my kettle for my planned 3V) As mentioned, overall I preferred a large single brew to running dual brews at a time.

In your case your planning on eventually going 3V, I would plan on a vessel with that in mind. I think the next question is what size 3V system are you going to build. Do you want the capability to run a double or even larger sized batch? Taking into account how much beer your household consumes vs how often you want to be brewing long term. I've built my 3V system so I only need to brew every 3 to 4 weeks, which is enough for me.

Hope this helps

QldKev

You can piggy back a BIAB brew using a straight esky and your existing urn to do two batches in only about an hour and a half extra onto the brew day. (edit: as Big Nath posted) :icon_cheers:

I've done this several times with great success and all it cost me was a cheap esky from Aldi.

However it's a good idea to have an independent heat source (in my case an immersion "wand") to prepare strike liquor and adjust temperatures during the mash in the esky, and bring to mashout - it speeds things up considerably rather than just having your urn as the only heat source.

Summary of method: when you have hoisted, drained and emptied the first bag which has been mashed in the urn, and started to ramp up to the boil then the bag is now free and you can use it to mash in the bag in the esky.

Whilst mashing #2 in the esky, the first brew is boiled and then drained into a cube (or chilled or whatever you normally do)

The urn is now free so you can hoist #2 and immediately start to jug the runnings out of the esky into the urn and ramp to boil.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Qld Kev, I have your website in favourites, it has a lot of great information! I think I will just go all electric as I intend to convert an old shipping container into my Brew Shed and gas is not good in enclosed spaces apparently. Where did you source that huge 140lt pot?

Bribie G, Thanks for your help, I have already read a few of your topics. Is there any problems with scorching wort with the handheld electric wand?

Cheers

Ben

It's a curly immersion heater, not the rod variety so the hot surface area would be similar to the element in an urn.

I only use a single vessel for BIAB and can get thru 2 brews in a day without many issues, even in winter (although it can be cold and dark during clean up !!)

The only way I have found to do this easily in Winter is to no chill. In summer, as long as you have a good wort chiller, you should still be able to bang out a double batch, but no chill is still your friend ;)

You just need to have everything well prepped.

I use a single coverted keggle, with a 23 jet mongolian. On a double brew day, I sometimes put a large 14L stock pot on to boil when I start the boil on my first batch. Using this with cold water from the filter gets me close to my strike temp for the second batch and I just adjust as needed with the burner if I am a bit shy of the right temp.

Duck

I follow a similar process. No chill with a separate pot to get hot water to hit strike temp quickly for a second batch. These two things get me through 2 brews in approx 10hrs so if you're keen on doing two brews without a whole new system, all you need is a 12L-15L pot and no chill cubes. Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Hoser

Thanks for the replies lads.

Qld Kev, I have your website in favourites, it has a lot of great information! I think I will just go all electric as I intend to convert an old shipping container into my Brew Shed and gas is not good in enclosed spaces apparently. Where did you source that huge 140lt pot?

Bribie G, Thanks for your help, I have already read a few of your topics. Is there any problems with scorching wort with the handheld electric wand?

Cheers

Ben

I got it from ebay from this seller

I believe he was from the store "Allquip Catering Equipment" but their website doesn't seem to be working.

The brand of the pot is Trenton, it is a decent commercial grade ali pot.

QldKev

Back