Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianh

Reaction score
Hi

As some of you may be aware I have moved on from Kits & Extracts to BIAB, so in the process of doing so I developed a spreadsheet.

I specifically use a 40 litre Crown urn for brewing but the spreadsheet gives the option to chose a crown urn or a pot.

The spreadsheet is still in it's development stage but I feel it can certainly be a guide to BIAB brewers.

Please read the notes worksheet before using.

The original version 1.0 was posted on BIABrewer and changes since include

Changed the IBU calculation so it includes the fermenter volume plus the trub.

Changed the dropdown lists so The ingredients are on their worksheets.

Changed how FG is calculated, Adjuncts now have a fermentabilty factor.

Changed how the brewhouse efficiency is calculated.

Added a water temp factor for those who use hot water to fill their urn or pot.

The spreadsheet is unprotected so be careful what you delete but you can change what you will, for example on the BREWS worksheet if you use a hydrometer only, just hide the Refractometer columns.

Comments,criticisms & suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Ian
View attachment BIAB_Beer_Designer_v1.3.xls

IanH, i'm not a biab'er, but seriously mate, do you sleep at all? The amount of work you put in to these spreadsheets of yours is incredible. I used the K&K sheet when i was kits and it was awesome.

If it was anything to go by, i am sure the other BIAB'ers out there will love your work!

IanH, i'm not a biab'er, but seriously mate, do you sleep at all? The amount of work you put in to these spreadsheets of yours is incredible. I used the K&K sheet when i was kits and it was awesome.

If it was anything to go by, i am sure the other BIAB'ers out there will love your work!

Thanks, one of the advantages of being retired (old *******).

Looks the goods mate. I've only been using Brewmate recently, but this looks like it's in much more detail.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

looks great will try it out for sure the K&E one was great this one looks good to

Found an error on the BIAB worksheet the Start of Boil Volume calc is incorrect.

On the BIAB worksheet Copy cell M15 to cell M13 should fix the problem.

cheers

Ian

Save yourself some trouble and get Beersmith2. Brad has included full support for BIAB as well as heaps of other features that I'm guessing would take you ages to develop yourself. Considering the support Brad gives to acknowledge Aussie brewers and this forum in particular, we should all get in behind him and support his excelent software product.

Brett

Hi

As some of you may be aware I have moved on from Kits & Extracts to BIAB, so in the process of doing so I developed a spreadsheet.

I specifically use a 40 litre Crown urn for brewing but the spreadsheet gives the option to chose a crown urn or a pot.

The spreadsheet is still in it's development stage but I feel it can certainly be a guide to BIAB brewers.

Please read the notes worksheet before using.

The original version 1.0 was posted on BIABrewer and changes since include

Changed the IBU calculation so it includes the fermenter volume plus the trub.

Changed the dropdown lists so The ingredients are on their worksheets.

Changed how FG is calculated, Adjuncts now have a fermentabilty factor.

Changed how the brewhouse efficiency is calculated.

Added a water temp factor for those who use hot water to fill their urn or pot.

The spreadsheet is unprotected so be careful what you delete but you can change what you will, for example on the BREWS worksheet if you use a hydrometer only, just hide the Refractometer columns.

Comments,criticisms & suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Ian

There's room for more than one project Bretto. I can't believe how rude your reply is after all the effort ianh has put in to this.

Ianh - thanks for putting in the yards for making this spreadsheet for BIAB brewers.

I agree what a useless comment. The more projects on the go the better. Its only going to benefit the community by having a diverse selection of programs.

Good work on the spreadsheet ianh will be handy to have at work to fiddle around with.

Save yourself some trouble and get Beersmith2. Brad has included full support for BIAB as well as heaps of other features that I'm guessing would take you ages to develop yourself. Considering the support Brad gives to acknowledge Aussie brewers and this forum in particular, we should all get in behind him and support his excelent software product.

Brett

It's no trouble Brett, I enjoy doing it and can adapt it the way I want plus I have it tweaked for my Crown urn. Whilst I have not played with Beersmith 2 the previous version left a lot to be desired, put a kilo of sugar in a recipe then try a kilo af lactose, look at the FG, not sure whether this has been fixed in version 2.

cheers

Ian

Ian, you deserve a medal or a Knighthood or something. All rise for Sir Ian :icon_cheers:

Very impressive work mate.

Well Done

Well done IanH on getting this up and going. Your other spreadsheet was great, and having seen this in the development stage, I know this will be as good as the K & K version. It's good that you have the time on your hands to be able to do this. I hope the garden hasn't suffered too much.
Cheers
LagerBomb

thanks ianh for adding this to the site this will come in handy

More man love for you ianh :wub:
The K&E spreadsheet helped me greatly, look forward to following the development of the new spreadsheet as i move into BIAB

Yoink!

Thanks. I'm not BIAB yet but might play around with this to see how it works. It's great to see some software that works with Linux.

Excellent initiative, will take a closer look when I am not on my netbook. Had a quick squizz, and maybe I culd offer a suggestion? For many people the BIAB concept is great for brewing in small spaces and with less gear. I suspect a lot of BIAB'ers also no-chill, so how about a tick box option for NC?

My pet peeve with software is that I cant have the recipe on file looking the same as the process (ie my 45 addition is 60, my in-cube is 15 etc).

Just a thought, but regardless it's great to see people doing things for the community. If it's as good as what people say about your kits worksheet, then BIAB brewers will hve an excellent tool t their disposal, for free.

Back