Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,

I would just like to say thanks for your hard work, knocked over 4 brews now and spot on for my urn hasn't missed a beat.

Huge thanks you

Ben

Thank-you so much Ian, I have been using this spreadsheet for many years now and it has helped me produce many satisfying beers. Unfortunately, mostly due to my own stupidity, it has produced many duds. It is time to delete all of the duds, but I am having problems. As I delete recipes, I am losing information on the hops for other recipes.

The first picture shows you what has happened after a deletion. The yellow boxes show unaffected recipes. The red boxes show what is missing in some recipes after a recipe has been deleted. The blue box shows missing information that is shown in a capture taken before a deletion (shown in red in picture 2).

It appears that the information is being deleted as the page is being compacted (recipe moved to fill right-hand column from left-hand column below). It appears to affect all of the recipes in the right hand column. Each deletion corrupts more recipes.

Has anybody else had this problem, or has my copy become corrupt?
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Hi opercularia I am not at home atm, should be back in a few days and will look at the problem.

Hangover68 the spreadsheet cannot be used in openoffice as the macros will not run.

cheers
Ian

Hi opercularia. Had a chance to look at the recipe deletion problem.The recipes are grouped in sets of 10, it appears not to move recipe 11 to 10 correctly.
To fix the problem you need to get access to the "deleterecipe" macro how to do this depends on the Excel version.
You need to edit the deleterecipe macro, near the end of the macro you will see the following line

Range(ActiveCell.Offset(24, -36), ActiveCell.Offset(39, -34)).Cut Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(23, 2))

The 39 value needs to be changed to 46

Range(ActiveCell.Offset(24, -36), ActiveCell.Offset(46, -34)).Cut Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(23, 2))

then save the spreadsheet.
Hope that fixes trhe problem.
Cheers
Ian

Hi opercularia. Had a chance to look at the recipe deletion problem.The recipes are grouped in sets of 10, it appears not to move recipe 11 to 10 correctly.
To fix the problem you need to get access to the "deleterecipe" macro how to do this depends on the Excel version.
You need to edit the deleterecipe macro, near the end of the macro you will see the following line

Range(ActiveCell.Offset(24, -36), ActiveCell.Offset(39, -34)).Cut Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(23, 2))

The 39 value needs to be changed to 46

Range(ActiveCell.Offset(24, -36), ActiveCell.Offset(46, -34)).Cut Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(23, 2))

then save the spreadsheet.
Hope that fixes trhe problem.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks for your quick reply Ian. I think it did the trick. I only tried one deletion and it worked correctly. Now to repair my recipes and finish deleting the duds.

Thanks again, you're a champ!

Hi opercularia I am not at home atm, should be back in a few days and will look at the problem.

Hangover68 the spreadsheet cannot be used in openoffice as the macros will not run.

cheers
Ian
G'day Ian,
Would love to try your spread sheet, I was sent a link by a member on this site, but the link went to a error page.
Could you please send me a more current link so I have a crack.
Many thanks,

Tony

Raising this thread from the dead.. Not sure if anybody is still using the spreadsheet, but I need some advice here.
If I change the ferment volume, should the grain weight not change?

Thanks for your answer ianh. Second question then. Is there a way to modify the batch size with the spreadsheet? My current recipe is for 20 liters, I want to change the batch to 10 liters. Is this something the spreadsheet can handle?

No you cannot just change the batch size saved in recipes. When you save recipe it just saves the value thats in the Ferment Volume cell.

Does anyone use brewmate ? It’s all I have used and found it excellent (and was a free download)

I’m still using Ian’s spreadsheet. Tweaked it for my biab setup and it’s very accurate and repeatable. Thanks Ian

Since working from home i have now a full office suite thanks to work on my pc so opened the spreadsheet to have a look, i was thinking earlier today that some kind of inventory spreadsheet would be good and there it is right on the main page.
Excellent work and now i have all my on hand ingredients listed so i can keep track of it, i even made some additions to the yeasts and hops.

Anyone using this on an android device, would be handy to use on my tablet, i know there is Excel for Android but would prefer a free option.

Last edited:
Just started my 2nd brew and i've noticed the 2 things that dont seem correct (could be me) , the mash temp and time stays the same regardless of the style and the strike water temp isn't high enough ? I may just need to do some tweaks but otherwise i love it, makes it easy to repeat a recipe.

Back