Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waratah67 said:
Hi Ian, My spreadsheet won't allow me to save new recipes. I get an error: "can't find project or library". appreciate any advice
Hi, see post 27 of this thread, hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks Ian. It did,

The last one on the list read "MISSING-Microsoft Word. 16".

I unchecked it. It seems to save again ok.

The spreadsheet uses MS Word in the background to copy the information on the Brewday worksheet onto the Brews worksheet as a comment, just in case you are wondering why you need MS Word. It was the only way I could find of doing it.

as someone new to allgrain that completely blows my mind how any of that works, would the calculations work on the 35l robobrew? again sorry if this has already been covered

beef said:
as someone new to allgrain that completely blows my mind how any of that works, would the calculations work on the 35l robobrew? again sorry if this has already been covered
Yep. All you need to do it enter your robobrew's parameters on the BIAB tab and you should be good to go. I think you'd need to set the type to crown urn in cell E4. Robobrew is just a fancy urn as far as I can see.

Once you've done that you can enter your recipe details and volume on the first tab and try and get it close to a style on the chart on the right. Select your style from cell H3.

Just be aware that selecting Crown urn includes a factor for the volume of the raised concealed element and this is probably different for the Robobrew.

Thanks guys ill have a look over the next couple of days

ianh said:
Just be aware that selecting Crown urn includes a factor for the volume of the raised concealed element and this is probably different for the Robobrew.
ok so i have had a play and all seemed to be pretty accurate to what i got on brew day, how do i go about saving the recipe? it says something about macros? if i save it will it do anything to the program?

Just hit the "Save Recipe" button on the Main worksheet and it should save to the Recipes worksheet. If you have added stuff to the Inventory worksheet and hit the "Make Recipe" button it should put the info on the Brews worksheet.

Note I think that the macros only work with Excel, not with Libre or Open Office.

Hey Mate. A brew buddy got me onto the spreadsheet. Great work, thanks a lot. I'm writing a web based recipe calculator and wonder if you'd mind me using your ingredient lists? Also wondering what formula you've used for the hop calculations? I'm using Tinseth (http://realbeer.com/hops/research.html) and was thinking I'd just add some time for the chube but wondered if you'd found anything better?

Source is up at https://github.com/melvey/biab-calculator/tree/master/src if you want to have a play

Hi elvey

Welcome to the forum.That's what I used for the hop calculations plus a time factor for No Chill. Feel free to use what bits you want, that's why it is not protected.

Cheers

Ian

Ian seriously, bugger Bob Dylan, I reckon you should be the recipient of a Noble Prize, or a bloody knighthood or something such at least.
Your selfless contribution and willingness to help people is a combination which is a rare trait in today's society.
Surely you're aware of how much time and energy you've saved brewers!? From someone with very bad math, measurements skills, and computer skills, thank you.

Sir Ian :) Respect.

Started using the no chill to play around with the IBU's what value would you put in for flame out without whirlpool or with whirlpool? Also cube hop?

I’m going to do a brew over the next week that will feature home grown hops heavily. What’s the rule for adding these to the recipe builder? I’m going to dry my flowers for storage. I know there’s a pellet / flower field. Do I select flowers only when using wet hops and leave it as pellet if I’m using dry hops?

Cheers!

If I remember right the difference between pellets and flowers is in the IBU calculation, pellets are 110% flowers 100%. I assume moisture is a large part of the difference. So I would go flowers for wet and pellets for dry.

Good to see you're still plugging away at this. I have just started brewing again after a shortish period of inactivity. We must catch up for a beer soon.
Cheers
David

Making good use of the spreed sheet - thanks very much for designing it! I was initially trying to find a really basic spreed sheet which just logged beers I had brewed but this is next level!

I am wondering if it is an easy edit for me to make the Hop schedule longer when creating a recipe. The APA (averagely perfect American) IPA I'm entering has a list about 14 long for hop additions!

I can see that to get the total IBU it's a simple SUM function that I can extend, but when I click and drag the hop list to make it longer, the buttons don't work anymore, and the huge IF statement to calculate the IBU for that hop addition also doesn't work.

Cheers.

You should be able to extend the Hop schedule, you need to copy columns A to H (H is where the calcs are done) down to the rows required.

Need to change the Sum formula in Cell K14.

The buttons won't work as each one requires a separate small macro, but you can enter weights and times manually.

I think that should work. Another possible option is if you are adding a number of hops at a particular time you can add a new hop to the Hop page that is a combination of the hop IBUs.

Cheers

Ah, great stuff. Yes I didn't copy all the way from A to H. Thanks for the tech support! I love that this is fully open source - being able to ad grains and hops.

Thanks
Dave

Latest posts

Back