Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cynic13 said:
Hi Ianh
How do I go about adding Pale 2-row to the Grains tab?
Hi Cynic

Welcome to the forum.

You just need the EBC and potential values for Pale 2 Row grain then just insert a row in the Grains worksheet and the name and values..
Can do that for any ingredients.

A bit of BIAB on Heston tonight, blessed by a priest no less.

I saw that ozpale. When Heston popped the fermenter lid and just scooped with a glass to taste, I cringed hard!

Has anyone had any luck with this spreadsheet on a mac or openoffice? I've tried on both and can't get it to work at all. For example, when changing the beer style in the drop down menu nothing changes in the grains cells, or when changing the fermenter volume nothing else changes.

Great software, thanks for providing it
Is it possible to scale recipes up with it?
Sorry if that's been answered

Not sure how you want to scale up but if you select pot rather than urn you can basically put in any size for your initial volume.

Sorry for delay replying but I'm O/S on holiday ATM.

Hey Ianh. I really appreciate the work you've put into this spreadsheet. Is there any way to add more lines for hops? I'm fine with reading/editing macros if you give me the basic gist of where to look.

Cheers.

Thanks. To add more hop lines

On Main worksheet copy down the last hop row - hop columns A to H for the number you want to add.
You will then need to alter IBU formula in cell K14
You then need to add the Spin Buttons to the new D & F columns (Developer - Insert - Spin buttons), not sure whether you number each spin button or its done autmatically.
You then need to add macros for each spin button. Developer - Macros - sheet1 should find hop button macros for weight and time, just need to copy and change cell references and spin button number.
On the Brewday worksheet you will need to insert and some more lines for hops.

You need need to edit the PasteComment macro find line Sheets("brewday").Range("b1:i50").Copy and change the i50 value to incorporate the additional hop rows.

You need to edit the makerecipe macro. This where most changes need to be made.
You will need to add some more sname variable values for your extra hop rows and then you need to alter the section underneath after the comment
' because you can have the same hops in any of the 8 slots, need total for each one
you need to total the weight of each hop so the changes will depend on the number of rows you added, gets more complicated the more rows you add.
In the inventory bit of the macro there are two loops For x = 2 to 22 you will need to change the 22 value in each ( 22 + No of extra rows)
Then there is a line near the end of the macro ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = need to add the extra sname variables created. This just totals the hops to add to the Brew worksheet.

I think that's it, good luck.

Hi Ian - great spreadsheet- I am running it on a mac and it all seems to be fine except the "make recipe" function. when i click it says it's removing the ingredients from the inventory but then i get an error message "runtime error 9 subscript out of range" and nothing is added to the brews sheet.

seems to be this line it is objecting to:

sheets("brewday").Range("b1:i50").Copy

i know nothing about visual basic
any ideas?

cheers!

g

Hi poggor

Thanks. At that point in the macro it calls MS word in the background to copy the Brewday sheet info onto the Brew sheet as a comment. So you need both Excel and Word on the computer to get it to run properly.

That's the only way I could find of copying part of a worksheet to a comment.

If you go to near the end of the makerecipe macro and put a ' in front on the Call PasteComment line it should by pass that bit.

cheers

Ian

ok that worked to disable the comment
so what is meant to get pasted into the brews sheet when you do the make recipe macro? im only getting the first few columns filled?

g

poggor said:
ok that worked to disable the comment
so what is meant to get pasted into the brews sheet when you do the make recipe macro? im only getting the first few columns filled?

g
What normally happens is the macro takes the information from the Brewday worksheet and pastes it as a comment in cell C on the Brews worksheet. Giving you a record of every brew you do.

The only way I found of doing this was to copy the info, paste into MS Word (which the macro opens in background) then copy and paste from Word back into Excel as a comment.

Ian

Thanks ian, like i said, the spreadsheet is amazing- i wish i had your excel skills! It' a shame the macro kept crashing for me with the out of range error. Still, I can just fill in those cells in the "brews" sheet manually right?

cheers

g

Hi Ian,

Is there anyway to add extra room for multiple hop additions to the spreadsheet? I am doing a large and varied IPA and need more room for different hop additions.

Cheers,

Matt

ianh: thanks for this..
i prob dont use it to all its capability BUT its the best ive found..

Got me my 1st BIAB recipe, had more of a boil of than expected so gravity was higher and volume was down but yeah.. cant wait to keg it!

Cheers to you!
:beer:

Hi Matt

Two ways alter spreadsheet as per post 88 (could send solipsist a pm see if he's done it) or if you have a number of hops that are added at the same time you could add new hops to the Hop worksheet that are a combination of Hops, just have to work out a weighted average AA%.

Cheers

Ian

Congrats on the first BIAB nvs-brews. If its too high in OG could always add some water.

1 thing i forgot to check with yeast amount, i did pitch more but 12hrs later so i may have strained the yeast a bit...
maybe that could be something you include?

all good ianh, i may end up with a 7.2% (depending on FG) instead of a 5.8% but either way it would suit the style (APA)

Hi Ian,

Have only joined this forum over the last week or two. If you would like help in sexing this up I am pretty good at excel. Not as sex in excel but making it very easy to navigate etc.

Latest posts

Back